3 yrs out not a lot of weight loss

skinnynmind
on 8/1/09 4:00 pm - Pensacola, FL
 I'm 3 yrs out from my lap band surgery, I've only lost 60lbs. I've gained and lost over the past 2 yrs. Gone as low as losing 73lbs. I had a panniculectomy 8mth ago. Although I'm happy to have that skin off, I look pregnant now. My plastic surgeon says he can do heavy lipo to get the rest off, but would rather not. That would be 12k, I think I'd rather not do that either.

I've been thinking about just getting the gastric or one of the various other surgeries. Anyone done that? I was thinking about just going to mexico this time and having it done. The dr I used at the time charged 16k, not sure how much it is now or what it'd be to take out the band and then do it.  

I've had some issues with my band also.  The tighter it was, the less I could eat, I had to make myself throw up cause food was always stuck. I always had to stand up to eat and couldn't eat till about 5pm+. So I was stuck eating late at night. I got so frustrated with it. I finally told the dr what I'd gone through the past 3 yrs. He said that it's not normal. But I don't lose weight like other lap band patients, the way I lose weight is by not eating ..pretty much when I have a fill I can't eat like normal.  I had my fill taken out to go to mexico for vacation. I didn't want to get stuck over there sick and not be able to eat. I also didn't want to have to explain why I was standing or why it was taking me so long to eat..or why I went to the bathroom every few minutes.  I've gained 13lbs since April when he took it out. I thought I can just diet now and eat right. Well I don't eat bad, but I don't eat wonderful.  Even when I had my fill I ate around the same. Lots of salads etc.. 

So my question I guess is, who's redone their surgery and possibly direct me to a good safe place in mexico :)
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 4:22 am - AZ
On August 1, 2009 at 11:00 PM Pacific Time, skinnynmind wrote:
 I'm 3 yrs out from my lap band surgery, I've only lost 60lbs. I've gained and lost over the past 2 yrs. Gone as low as losing 73lbs. I had a panniculectomy 8mth ago. Although I'm happy to have that skin off, I look pregnant now. My plastic surgeon says he can do heavy lipo to get the rest off, but would rather not. That would be 12k, I think I'd rather not do that either.

I've been thinking about just getting the gastric or one of the various other surgeries. Anyone done that? I was thinking about just going to mexico this time and having it done. The dr I used at the time charged 16k, not sure how much it is now or what it'd be to take out the band and then do it.  

I've had some issues with my band also.  The tighter it was, the less I could eat, I had to make myself throw up cause food was always stuck. I always had to stand up to eat and couldn't eat till about 5pm+. So I was stuck eating late at night. I got so frustrated with it. I finally told the dr what I'd gone through the past 3 yrs. He said that it's not normal. But I don't lose weight like other lap band patients, the way I lose weight is by not eating ..pretty much when I have a fill I can't eat like normal.  I had my fill taken out to go to mexico for vacation. I didn't want to get stuck over there sick and not be able to eat. I also didn't want to have to explain why I was standing or why it was taking me so long to eat..or why I went to the bathroom every few minutes.  I've gained 13lbs since April when he took it out. I thought I can just diet now and eat right. Well I don't eat bad, but I don't eat wonderful.  Even when I had my fill I ate around the same. Lots of salads etc.. 

So my question I guess is, who's redone their surgery and possibly direct me to a good safe place in mexico :)

I responded to you in more detail on the band  board but basically there are two great revision surgeons in MX for sleeves and bypass, Aceves and Rumbaut.  Aceves covers complications, Rumbaut does not.  If you want DS than Ungson.

There is a dirt cheap route to go with a safe surgeon but he only does bypass and he only does a full open incision.  He does not do lap procedures.

Please, avoid the crappy Tijuana clinics with inexperienced surgeons.

skinnynmind
on 8/2/09 4:44 am - Pensacola, FL
 thanks I posted it there first, but then saw this forum. I was going to look for you because your name was mentioned :) 
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 4:55 am - AZ
On August 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM Pacific Time, skinnynmind wrote:
 thanks I posted it there first, but then saw this forum. I was going to look for you because your name was mentioned :) 

It sounds like originally did you well with a band.  Do you think restriction alone will do the trick for you?  What is your BMI now?

It's hard to lose weight with a band that has gone bad.  It's a miserable life as well.  It sucks the life right out of you.  You don't even realize how bad it was until you revise to something else and realize all the little things you quit doing because of the band.  Little things like not going to lunch with friends because you know you'll spend the majority of the time hacking up something that is stuck.  Not going to social events that involve food.  Trying to explain why you have to stand to eat.  It's hard eating lunch in front of coworkers, embarrassing moments.

I totally get it.

skinnynmind
on 8/2/09 10:06 am - Pensacola, FL
 I'm so glad to hear that you do understand my feelings over the past 3 yrs. I don't think restriction alone will. I barely ate before, the only thing is, once I could eat after a few throw ups, after 7pm, I could eat a fair amount. I believe more then I've heard people are supposed to be able to eat.  I'm 5'4 251 right now. I did well with it the first year, I did a lot of liquid. I lost 24lbs the first 6 weeks. I lost almost 50lbs the first year. But it all stopped after that. I had a good fill last year around august, lost 35lbs. But if it wasn't for the panni I would be right at that number. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/09 12:51 pm - AZ
On August 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM Pacific Time, skinnynmind wrote:
 I'm so glad to hear that you do understand my feelings over the past 3 yrs. I don't think restriction alone will. I barely ate before, the only thing is, once I could eat after a few throw ups, after 7pm, I could eat a fair amount. I believe more then I've heard people are supposed to be able to eat.  I'm 5'4 251 right now. I did well with it the first year, I did a lot of liquid. I lost 24lbs the first 6 weeks. I lost almost 50lbs the first year. But it all stopped after that. I had a good fill last year around august, lost 35lbs. But if it wasn't for the panni I would be right at that number. 

Maybe you just need more than restriction alone.  Some folks are verrrry metabolically challenged.  If you are one of them consider bypass or DS.

I totally get "band problems" and it is a life of horror.

llittle
on 8/2/09 10:15 am - w farmington, ON
I would try the DS board.  There are people there that went to mexico.  There are also a lot of testimonies.  It is a really good board.
Blessings

fullofjoy

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 1:05 pm - San Diego, CA
My revision was done in Tijuana, MX...thankfully not by a "crappy, inexperienced surgeon."   I did my research.  He was wonderful and I am doing fabulous!!  

Good luck to you!!

skinnynmind
on 8/3/09 9:14 am - Pensacola, FL
On August 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM Pacific Time, LisaBeezee wrote:
My revision was done in Tijuana, MX...thankfully not by a "crappy, inexperienced surgeon."   I did my research.  He was wonderful and I am doing fabulous!!  

Good luck to you!!

you look great btw ;)
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/09 9:43 am - San Diego, CA
Thank you so much!  It's a lot of really hard work but I feel wonderful about myself (finally).
Most Active