My ROSE Experience

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 4:10 am - AZ
On July 31, 2009 at 4:55 PM Pacific Time, tipper77 wrote:
My doctor attempted to perform the ROSE procedure for me on 7/17/09.  Even after doing a pre-op EGD to ensure that I was a "good" candidate for the procedure it didn't workout as we hoped.  

The doctor was unable to perform the procedure because he could not "get a good grab" after over 1 hour of trying.

It was very disappointing to wake up from surgery and learn that the procedure was unsuccessful.  Thankfully my surgeon refunded 100% of the procedure.

I am happy to report that I successfully had the lapband procedure done on 7/30.  Still, I have now had two surgeries in the last two weeks and have had to recover from both.  Even though the ROSE was unsuccessful I still had a fair amount of discomfort, I am guessing from the unsuccessful grabs.  It took me about 3 days to be rid of the stomach cramps and general uncomfortable and nauseous feeling.

When I was in recovery for my lapband and talking to the nurse she told me that what happened to me with the ROSE happens a lot.  I believe, based on my experience, that the procedure is still very new and is far from perfected. 

I believe everything happens for a reason and the ROSE was not God's plan for me.  I was very skeptical through the entire process, never had a warm and fuzzy feeling about it, and that should have been my first clue.  My husband was very optimistic about it and that is probably why I went through with it - because of his support. 

All that said, with the lack of statistics and possibility of going into surgery and the associated risk for what could be totally unsuccessful  I urge anyone considering the ROSE to seriously consider all options before going with this procedure.

I'm sorry you went through that.  I wish you much success with the band!

Zee Starrlite
on 8/3/09 7:20 am
Tipper, I think you got lucky!!!  Because, truth be told, the ROSE Does Not work  Congrats on your Band.  I hear that there is less chance of slippage etc when it is on a RNY stomach. 

I believe that you will do quite well.

(((HUGS)))
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

sosoclark
on 8/4/09 1:28 pm - Sacramento, CA
Thank you so much for the information. I am also thinking about doing the band over the rny so please keep us posted on your progress. Sophia
Most Active