No Band Over Bypass?

April J.
on 7/31/09 6:50 am - Bowie, MD
OH family please help me understand. I spoke with my Doctor today that performed my original bypass in 2004 and also did my endoscopy last week. He is stating that I can't get a band over my bypass...why? There are thousands of you who have had it done, why is he stating it can't be done. I do know that my pouch is still in tact but my stoma is stretch. I only want some restriction which is why I was seeking revision to the Realize Band. He did not have my chart in front of him re: the endoscopy and is not ruling out a revision, but he was adamant that the band was not an option even though he does the Realize Band. Can anyone help me understand why not?
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/09 11:15 am - AZ
On July 31, 2009 at 1:50 PM Pacific Time, April J. wrote:
OH family please help me understand. I spoke with my Doctor today that performed my original bypass in 2004 and also did my endoscopy last week. He is stating that I can't get a band over my bypass...why? There are thousands of you who have had it done, why is he stating it can't be done. I do know that my pouch is still in tact but my stoma is stretch. I only want some restriction which is why I was seeking revision to the Realize Band. He did not have my chart in front of him re: the endoscopy and is not ruling out a revision, but he was adamant that the band was not an option even though he does the Realize Band. Can anyone help me understand why not?

If there is no medical reason I would guess that HE can't do it.  Not that it can't be done but it's tricky banding a bypassed pouch and not everyone can do it.

I'd get a 2nd opinion.

Kim E.
on 7/31/09 11:20 am - VA
WEll... my 2 cents worth... I went from a band to the DS and my doc really wanted me to keep the band for if I wanted to lose even more weight later. I said nope --- I wanted the band gone!!!  But then again my ds tummy is bigger then the RNY tummy.... and when my tummy stretches I will still lose weight because of the malabsorption the DS offers. Without reading thru your posts -- have you considered getting an ENRY so you will have more food bypassed?
Kim 

Lap Band March 2007- SW = 310
DS - 4/24/09 - SW = 255
CW = 175
GW = 160
Colon Cancer Survivor and Obesity Survivor - Can't do much better then that !!  ENJOY !!!

jonathan R.
on 8/2/09 12:24 am - east meadow, ny
 You obviously need to chose another surgeon who know what he is doing.  My surgeon Dr. Shawn Garber does lots of bands over previous gastric bypasses.
Michele S.
on 8/2/09 5:42 am
May I suggest you ask the surgeon that question.  Everyone has given some intresting guesses a to why but there may be other reasons.  MAybe there are medical reasons the band would not be approprate, maybe not.  All I would suggest is go into the appointment wiht a list of quesions and an open mind.  Take it from someone who just went through a similar experience, if you are not prepared wiht the questions or you are so closed minede to hear what they have to say , it will not be a positive exprience for you.

Just remember, listen to what they have to say but you are always intilted to a second opinion!.
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
Most Active