Dr. Nick Nicholson - Proximal to Distal Revision

Teena A.
on 7/30/09 9:44 am - Mesquite, TX
Has anyone had a LAP RNY gastric bypass promixal to distal revision done by Dr. Nick Nicholson in Dallas or Plano, TX?

If you have I am curious to know if you have been successful in making it to goal weight and what if any complications you have had since your revision.

I am not interested in any suggestions of any other means of revision like DS as I already know what I want.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation for only answering my post if you have had the LAP RNY gastric bypass promixal to distal revision procedure done.

Teena

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

startingover08
on 7/30/09 9:51 am
I am curious to know what a proximal to distal revision is?  I had RNY gastric bypass in 2004 and have regained some weight ad possibly looking for a revision of some sort or other procedure.  I would be very interested in some info on this.  What do you think about the DS?

Thanks!
Teena A.
on 7/30/09 9:59 am, edited 7/30/09 10:06 am - Mesquite, TX
The long limb Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (or distal gastric bypass) is an operation that works by both restriction (due to a small stomach pouch) and malabsorption (due to bypassing a large amount of the small intestine).

The difference between short limb (or proximal) and long limb (or distal) gastric bypass is the length of the roux limb. Long limb gastric bypass results in more malabsorption than short limb gastric bypass.

http://bariatrictimes.com/2007/09/10/revision-procedures-for -failed-gastric-bypass/

http://www.coastalobesity.com/weightlosssurgery/Surgeries.ht m

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/procedure/ds_vs__rny/ds_vs__rn y.html

I have no opinion of DS as it is a mute issue with me as my insurance does not approve it.

Good luck
Teena

Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

JROLFSON
on 8/3/09 4:56 am - St. George, UT
Hi there Teena:

I had RNY to ERNY or Distal Gastric Bypass on May 20th of this year...To date I have lost 31 lbs...Immediately following my surgery the weight loss was extremely slow but so was my eating..It seemed when I kicked up the eating and added some good fats to my diet the weight loss increased ten fold...At least last week it did...And I haven't been doing much exercise...I wonder what would have happened it I would have exercised as well...

I have had some potty issues like most...but for the most part...don't mind it a bit, although my Husband gets a little grossed out by the gas smells after I eat certain foods....I know, I know TMI...sorry...

My Dr. shortened my common channel to 100 I was hoping for 75 but you get what you get when the Dr. gets in there as many things come into play when he makes the decision as to what length to make your limb.

I started surgery at 214 and am now at 183...
My goal weight is 135...48 lbs to go!

I hope to make it there...it's definately not the fastest surgery I've ever had for weight loss but hey, if I get there this time I'm going to do everything I can to keep it off...

Good Luck,

Janie
Teena A.
on 8/3/09 5:03 am - Mesquite, TX
Janie,

Thank you very much for your info as this is exactly what I needed to hear.

I without a doubt know that exercise and increase in protein and water intake would make a huge difference in the weight loss.

You have done great so far with your weight loss since your revision.

I hope I am that blessed.

Have you tried Beano and if so does it help with the gas issue?

Keep up the great work.

Teena

Teena Adler

JROLFSON
on 8/3/09 5:38 am - St. George, UT
I have been told about and given all kinds of ideas for things to take to ease the effects of gas, bloating, diarhea but my Dr. actually advised me to learn how to eat correctly so I don't experience the side effects...He said that all that different over the counter medicines can and will destroy the natural flora in your body...It's really important to learn how to eat so you don't have the bad effects...and so far I've done a pretty good job of that...And honestly I hate the gas and bloating but the oil slicks I don't mind as it tells me as I'm flushing that pounds are going down the toilet...Sounds crazy I know...

So I've been told beano, flagyl, probiotics, benefiber (which is the only thing I take so far) all can help but it's better to not use this stuff if you can get by without it...So far I'm fine...

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you as well...

Janie
Teena A.
on 8/3/09 5:45 am - Mesquite, TX
Thanks Janie,

I should be good then if the gas and bloating can be controlled by eating right.

I am in transformation to going vegetarian so all is well.

I now eat turkey, chicken, fish (non fried), veggies, that all contains lots of protein already and I drink about a gallon of water a day as I do not drink soda.

Once the stomach is repaired things should be fine.

When you say oil slick do you mean the runs?????

LOL.

Teena

Teena Adler

Teena A.
on 8/31/09 3:30 pm - Mesquite, TX
Janie,

I found out today that my common channel will be 100-150.

Teena Adler

JROLFSON
on 9/1/09 1:16 am - St. George, UT
Teena:
Hi Teena:

Do you still have restriction from your original RNY?

How much weight are you aiming to lose?

Both of these questions and answers are extremely important when it comes to your common channel length and only your Dr. will know once he gets in there what that should be...Because a lot has to do with what you were originally bypassed as well...

But in my experience I have noticed that if you don't have restriction anymore a little shorter common channel will help with more weight loss...Also if you are only trying to lose 50 lbs or less then the longer length channel will probably be sufficient but if you want to lose more then the shorter length is needed...a more aggressive approach will help with weight loss but the other issues come with that...

Good luck to you please keep us updated on your progress...You will do great I just know it...

Janie

TODAY I WEIGHED IN THE 170'S FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 6 YEARS...IT IS SO GREAT! 35 LBS...
Teena A.
on 8/10/09 1:35 am - Mesquite, TX
Most Active