Dr. Nick Nicholson - Proximal to Distal Revision

jonesgirl
on 8/2/09 3:04 pm - , TX

Let me share my stats first
 04-1995 - Open VGB- 375 ibs down to 248
06-2001 Revised to Open RNY -  298 lbs down to 228
06-11-2009 -Revised Lap Prox to Distal, Bypassed 100 to 150 cm. Weight  249 - No weight loss at all- Extremely Disappointed    

Not a Dr Nicholson patient but a recent experience to share.  I never reached my 200 lb goal the first time but did have further success with revision to RNY,  228 lbs.  Ive gained about 20 lbs since and afraid to gain further. I know that weight loss the 3rd time around is not guaranteed and will be slower. However, I need my scale to move to the left just a few notches. I should be working my way through the side effects of having 150 cm bypassed but Im not experiencing anything other than still a pain on my right side. I am borderline Distal, early.

Suggestion- Tell your Dr your exact goal weight and how much to bypass. Stay away from vague terms like "lose more weight" or "addtl weight loss".  Be clear.  After my surgery, my Dr informed that he bypassed from 100 to 150 cm. I was surprised (pissed) and wondered then if it would be enough. Apparently not. I tried hard to recap our conversations to figure out how he  thought 150 cm would be sufficient.  

Im thankful to not be 375 lbs again however who wants to hear that 20 lbs is a normal weight gain for 8 year span. Thats how I got to be 375 lbs lbs in the first place, making allowances for weight gain.  I need to my tool to work to keep me from being 375 again.  This was to be  my last chance to move away from obesity beacuase each surgery is dangerous and less effective.  He assured me I would lose lbs but couldnt guarantee an amount.  I still have restriction, my tests showed my pouch still small and in tact so my Dr didnt want to touch.   I did the liquid and soft diet for 2 weeks and also tested other foods for any type of reaction.  I am so discouraged. I still have this pain on my lower right that can be pretty sharp at times.  Im so glad that Im 5'10,  can jog and exercise, plus  carry my weight well.  If not I would be crying right now.  Im waiting out the next 6 mos for positive results.  

JRinAZ
on 8/3/09 1:59 am - Layton, UT
On August 2, 2009 at 10:04 PM Pacific Time, jonesgirl wrote:

Let me share my stats first
 04-1995 - Open VGB- 375 ibs down to 248
06-2001 Revised to Open RNY -  298 lbs down to 228
06-11-2009 -Revised Lap Prox to Distal, Bypassed 100 to 150 cm. Weight  249 - No weight loss at all- Extremely Disappointed    

Not a Dr Nicholson patient but a recent experience to share.  I never reached my 200 lb goal the first time but did have further success with revision to RNY,  228 lbs.  Ive gained about 20 lbs since and afraid to gain further. I know that weight loss the 3rd time around is not guaranteed and will be slower. However, I need my scale to move to the left just a few notches. I should be working my way through the side effects of having 150 cm bypassed but Im not experiencing anything other than still a pain on my right side. I am borderline Distal, early.

Suggestion- Tell your Dr your exact goal weight and how much to bypass. Stay away from vague terms like "lose more weight" or "addtl weight loss".  Be clear.  After my surgery, my Dr informed that he bypassed from 100 to 150 cm. I was surprised (pissed) and wondered then if it would be enough. Apparently not. I tried hard to recap our conversations to figure out how he  thought 150 cm would be sufficient.  

Im thankful to not be 375 lbs again however who wants to hear that 20 lbs is a normal weight gain for 8 year span. Thats how I got to be 375 lbs lbs in the first place, making allowances for weight gain.  I need to my tool to work to keep me from being 375 again.  This was to be  my last chance to move away from obesity beacuase each surgery is dangerous and less effective.  He assured me I would lose lbs but couldnt guarantee an amount.  I still have restriction, my tests showed my pouch still small and in tact so my Dr didnt want to touch.   I did the liquid and soft diet for 2 weeks and also tested other foods for any type of reaction.  I am so discouraged. I still have this pain on my lower right that can be pretty sharp at times.  Im so glad that Im 5'10,  can jog and exercise, plus  carry my weight well.  If not I would be crying right now.  Im waiting out the next 6 mos for positive results.  

Maybe your unidentified pain on your lower right side would qualify you to get back on the O.R. table with a different surgeon?!

It sounds like you definitely need your common channel shortened to increase malabsorption and that you need a comprehensive (up to speed with the latest) pre and post care program that can guide you through all the nutritional guidelines as well as the continueity of direction that all of us thrive on!

Possibility of revising (while fixing pain) to DS or Extended Rny?

Try surgeon's on the dsfacts.com list or Dr. Eric Schlesinger in AZ for the ERny.

I am sooooo sorry you've had to go through major surgery again; just to be disappointed. .....  I'd also recommend keeping a detailed food/exercise journal so that any program you may go to can see what YOUR contribution to making it work has been.

Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

jonesgirl
on 8/10/09 1:48 pm - , TX
Thank you for the direction. It is officially 60 days out, still same pain. I have been purposely sitting with this until I can figure out my next step. But secretly hoping Im wrong, looking for that scale to move or my curves to narrow out.   
Teena A.
on 8/3/09 3:39 am, edited 8/3/09 3:52 am - Mesquite, TX
jonesgirl,

I am sorry to hear that although you have had three surgeries you have not made it to goal yet.

I know that has to be very frustrating, but you will get there.

Are you following the food, prtotein, exercise plan your doctor gave you?

You at least have height on your side.

I am short as hell.

I made it to goal within 6 months and stayed at goal until my gastro gastric fistula in 2007so my issue is purely mechanics so oncce they fix the issue then I will go back to where I was.

I am very detailed so I had a whole set of questions for my doctor and he answered them all thoroughly.

I am just patiently waiting on a response from insurance now as to whether it has been approved.

Considering I have a complication I am positive it will be.

I would contact someone regarding the fact that you still have pain as it is now 8-2009 and your pain should not still be present.

I wish you well in your journey.

Keep your head up.

Teena

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Teena A.
on 8/4/09 3:24 am - Mesquite, TX
I was approved yesterday.

I go for my pre surgery appt and to sign surgery consent forms tomorrow at 3:00 pm.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

jonesgirl
on 8/10/09 1:35 pm - , TX
That is so great. I wish you the best to reach your goal. Im a success because Im not 375 lbs anymore. I still have that nudge of dissappointment in the back of my head from not being smaller. As far as following the rules I have to say "NO" only because I swim, play ball, run, walk, love to hike, and explore but I cant say Im in a gym 3-4 a week. I love to be outdoors. I cant eat sweets due to the dumping syndrome and a whole bunch of carbs for the same. I also cant eat a whole meal but nibble because Im always on the go. Any leftovers are tossed now instead of taking them with me and forcing myself to eat later. My eating habits have changed tremendously, it seems that my body has become used whatever was my force to lose the weight previously. I think I understand now what is meant when said your body becomes use to the tool and you find a way around it. I will keep in touch and I wish you the best. Were close to each, TX.  
Most Active