Anyone had an insurance approval and then got denied after the surgery?

lizp100
on 7/30/09 9:56 am, edited 7/30/09 2:06 pm

Help! I am in major panic mode. I had revision surgery on 5/22. I was first denied on 5/13 but then "supposedly" approved on 5/18. The doctor's insurance/office coordinator called me 5/18 to say that I was approved and gave me a pre-cert number. Because I find her to be incompetent, I called to confirm myself on 5/19 and was told that yes I was approved. Well now, 2 1/2 months later I got an EOB from the insurance denying my claim. They say it was never approved and the pre-cert number was actually a denial (now does that make sense?). They are reviewing it and bringing up phone records. I am glad that I have an email from the Dr's office showing an approval because there is no way in hell I am paying the bill. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do?

The hospital bill is $63,000 and I am sure the surgeon bill will easily be $12,000. This will definitely cause financial bankruptcy. I am pissed and heart-broken all at the same time.
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/09 2:35 pm

I know how frustrating this must be.  Have you posted on the DS forum.  Diana C. (insurance guru) may be able to give you some advice on how to resolve this.  Good luck!

Most Active