Hoping for a revision

lori3
on 7/28/09 6:30 am

Hi everyone! Hoping for some help and guidance. I had the RNY May 2003, and was very successful with a 150 pound weightloss down to 145.  After time and the birth of my last child 45 pounds has been added back on. 

I do believe I wasnt doing as well as I should with my eating habits so I went back to basics.  I did one of those "bootcamp" exercise" for 1 month in addition to 45 minutes cardio. After the "bootcamp" I continued my exercise for 3-4 days a week.   I also paid close attention to my calorie intake.  However, the weight wasn't moving.

I called and made my yearly check up appointment with my surgeon.  I am hoping to speak with him about a revision.  Can anyone give me some guidance on a revision:

1. Does it have to be medically necessary? I am 50 pounds over my lowest weight.
2. I have BCBS POS GA insurance, do they pay for the revision?
3. Do I need to ask my surgeon to check my pouch? 
4. Is surgeons willing to do the revision? 

punkie112003
on 7/28/09 2:26 pm - West Monroe, LA
Hi I had bypass done in 1993. Did great but also have had two kids since then. After my second child, started putting the weight on. Did weigh****chers etc. Nothing worked. So i did some research and talked to dr and decided to check into the ROSE procedure. Had my EGD and was told that my pouch was close to double in the size and stoma was almost triple in size. I had the ROSE done on July 23. Everything is good. I have 1 more day of liquid diet and then get to graduate to thicker soup. Before my procedure, i talked to dr and he told me that i could have dieted and done everything but weight wouldn't have come off. Phychological i think is what he said. Not sure what that is suppose to mean but it was nice to hear that i was not the failure at loosing the weight. My body is failing me. Your insurance will depend on whether they cover it or not. I have BCBS of La and it doesnt cover anything like that but BCBS of Tx does.  GO FIGURE. Your surgeon has to check your pouch because it has to be a certain size for the procedure to be done. Also, this is a new procedure and not alot of drs are doing it. Hope this is helpful. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Anissa
JROLFSON
on 7/29/09 2:24 am, edited 7/29/09 2:24 am - St. George, UT
How much weight have you lost to date Anissa? Also, I was wondering how much weight your Surgeon feels you can lose with this procedure?

J Rolfson
punkie112003
on 7/29/09 8:20 am - West Monroe, LA
punkie112003
on 7/29/09 8:23 am - West Monroe, LA
My dr didnt really give me a number. He did say that i should loose at least 20-30%. Which would be 45 to 70 pounds. Tomorrow will be 1 week but as of today I have lost 5-6 pounds.  Did you also have the ROSE? How much have you lost and how is it going?
JROLFSON
on 7/29/09 11:37 am - St. George, UT

No, I had ERNY...I have lost 30 lbs since May 20th... actually a little before that...Going real good so far...Good Luck to you...

Janie

Most Active