Stomaphyx Results! Positive Inquiries Only

mcnealjw
on 7/28/09 3:52 am - Louisa, VA
StomaphyX on 07/31/09 with
I have spent the day reading many of the posts from this website on the Stomaphyx.  I am having this surgery done on Friday and I am looking forward to it.  I have all of the confidence in the world in my surgeon, as he did a great job on my RNY- it is I who have slacked off and regained my 30lbs, being uncommitted.  I would like to hear POSITIVE testemonies on this surgery, if there are any of those folks on here.  Please don't give me any negative feedback, as reading those posts are discouraging.  I am thinking that many people are hoping for a miracle to keep them from being Fat again but it doesn't work that way- maybe that is why so many people have failed.... but regardless, if you have had positive results, could you share those with me?  
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/09 5:17 am - AZ
On July 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM Pacific Time, mcnealjw wrote:
I have spent the day reading many of the posts from this website on the Stomaphyx.  I am having this surgery done on Friday and I am looking forward to it.  I have all of the confidence in the world in my surgeon, as he did a great job on my RNY- it is I who have slacked off and regained my 30lbs, being uncommitted.  I would like to hear POSITIVE testemonies on this surgery, if there are any of those folks on here.  Please don't give me any negative feedback, as reading those posts are discouraging.  I am thinking that many people are hoping for a miracle to keep them from being Fat again but it doesn't work that way- maybe that is why so many people have failed.... but regardless, if you have had positive results, could you share those with me?  

I would check out the weight loss stats on the manufacturers website:

www.endogastricsolutions.com/

RNYtoStomaPhyx
on 8/26/09 5:41 pm - adfbdafb, OR
 Statistics based on what?  I had the Stomaphyx procedure almost two years ago and no one followed up with me to see if it worked.  I don't think the Drs have real stats on WLS surgery success either because many people who gained weight back never went back to their surgeons.

BTW, it didn't work at all, but the Dr is going to try again.
couchpotatoe
on 7/28/09 6:02 am
Why would you put something like this on here? Don't you want to know the entire story? I have not had the Stomaphyx but if I was I would be looking for both sides of the coin.
mcnealjw
on 7/28/09 6:28 am - Louisa, VA
 Lol- why would you say something like that.  Obviously this surgery has successful results or it would not continue to become so popular.  People on this site have continued to rant about how terrible their surgery was and how much money they lost.... when I know that the statistics of the surgery failing are less than 20%- so I think it is interesting not to see any success stories on here, or few, when statistics are so high.  
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/09 1:58 am - AZ
On July 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM Pacific Time, mcnealjw wrote:
 Lol- why would you say something like that.  Obviously this surgery has successful results or it would not continue to become so popular.  People on this site have continued to rant about how terrible their surgery was and how much money they lost.... when I know that the statistics of the surgery failing are less than 20%- so I think it is interesting not to see any success stories on here, or few, when statistics are so high.  

Stats are high?  Is that what the manufacturers website says?

mcnealjw
on 7/29/09 2:15 am - Louisa, VA
 No, the manufacturers website does not give any statistics on the stomaphyx procedure, only the similar procedure that they do for acid reflux...  I read in Oprah Magazine (Feb's edition, I think) some recent statistics I have also gathered general statistics from Random surgeons, and also a variety of information I collected from a seminar I went to.  I have done a lot of research, of course because this is my health and a LOT of money, and I just thought it was kind of odd that hardly anyone on here has posted a positive result.  I am not at all trying to be harsh, I would just like to talk to someone with successful results, as I have read ALL of the non success results.
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/09 2:29 am - AZ
On July 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM Pacific Time, mcnealjw wrote:
 No, the manufacturers website does not give any statistics on the stomaphyx procedure, only the similar procedure that they do for acid reflux...  I read in Oprah Magazine (Feb's edition, I think) some recent statistics I have also gathered general statistics from Random surgeons, and also a variety of information I collected from a seminar I went to.  I have done a lot of research, of course because this is my health and a LOT of money, and I just thought it was kind of odd that hardly anyone on here has posted a positive result.  I am not at all trying to be harsh, I would just like to talk to someone with successful results, as I have read ALL of the non success results.

>>No, the manufacturers website does not give any statistics on the stomaphyx procedure,<<

Bingo!

Wouldn't that be for the same reason that the Lap Band manufacturer doesn't list stats either?  If the stats were great they'd be posting them everywhere.  The manufacturer used to advertise it as a method for determined people to stop from gaining.  IOW, bust your butt and you might not regain.  They didn't even advertise it as a weight loss method.

One area I disagree with you on is that if it wasn't a good procedure they wouldn't be doing it anymore.  I've been in medicine for 25 years and I'm telling you that is just not true.  We do have procedures that we still do that don't do a lick of good.  Sad yet true.

I know, you only want positive results here but I don't think you'll find many.  I only recall one person that was claiming all this wonderful success and she ended up being out'ed as a staff person that worked for the doctor she was pushing everyone to go to for this procedure.  She wasn't even a WLS patient.

People here... we've either had revisions (me) or we are looking to have a revision.  We **know** exactly how you feel, the fear of the pounds that already came back, more pounds that will continue to come back.  It's a train that is out of control and we all feel helpless to maintain without something, anything.  That is why many of us spend time here and do what we can for folks.  You are looking at a procedure that doesn't seem to have the same results as the doctors claim.  If this procedure has an 80% success rate, where are the patients?  Those that have had this surgery do not agree with the claimed stats.  We just don't want to see a peer go through the expense and let-down of a failed surgery.  These procedures are expensive, no way around it.  If you have money to burn to give it a shot, go for it.  If you want an honest chance at success then maybe a procedure with a better track record?

One question I have for you... I used to know this but I've since forgotten.  If you have this procedure and if per chance, it fails... can this cause scarring or adhesions preventing a future procedure that might have more success?  That would be a big big big factor in my mind.  I recall mention being made of it but I'm just not remembering the answer.  I do recall it was a concern but I don't know to what degree.

mcnealjw
on 7/29/09 2:58 am - Louisa, VA
 According to the website, you can have this done as many times as you need to and if it fails, since there is no damage being done at all, you can go ahead with another procedure.  My doctors office has only had 2 out of 179 patients not lose the amount of weight they needed to lose.  Some folks have said that you need to get it done 2 or 3 times.  I would consider a revision BUT I only have to lose 30 lbs. and I do not come close to qualifying for a revision or lap band.  This is the only incisionless surgery that I do qualify for. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/09 3:15 am - AZ
On July 29, 2009 at 9:58 AM Pacific Time, mcnealjw wrote:
 According to the website, you can have this done as many times as you need to and if it fails, since there is no damage being done at all, you can go ahead with another procedure.  My doctors office has only had 2 out of 179 patients not lose the amount of weight they needed to lose.  Some folks have said that you need to get it done 2 or 3 times.  I would consider a revision BUT I only have to lose 30 lbs. and I do not come close to qualifying for a revision or lap band.  This is the only incisionless surgery that I do qualify for. 

I do not know your doctor, I am not making judgments about him personally.

With that said, I do not believe only two failed.  That screams "BS" to me.

There is a reason so many doctors decline to do this procedure.  It's like Mini Gastric Bypass, it's easier to do (technically) than RNY.  Yet 99.9% of the doctors out there refuse to do it and they won't do it for a reason.  Only the hacks do MGB.  It's available, it's legal to do, but 99.9% of doctors won't do it.

I think the same thing applies here.  I would question why the majority of the doctors decline to do Stomaphyx, ROSE, and the others.  There is a reason, you might consider why that is.

And btw, if Dr. Halmi has177 successes, why isn't even one posting here?  Just one?  This is the biggest WLS site on the internet yet not one success has ever posted here out of 177.  Does this ring true to you?  Those stats don't even ring true for WLS in general.  Consider all the people that do not do as they are told, they don't follow post op instructions, they don't do many of the things necessary to lose weight yet just Dr. Helmi's patients are a success 99% of the time when the rest of the world doesn't come close to those stats.  Does this make sense to you?

You have to do what you have to do.  Follow your gut, if you think this will work then by all means go for it.  But just go into this realistically.

Most Active