Lap Band Revision to RNY

1bigqt
on 7/30/09 5:58 am
I had a lap-band placed in April of 2006.  I had success for the first 2 years then I developed severe GERD, esophogeal dilation and eventually esophogeal ulcers.  Too tight - too many times.  I have had nothing in my band for over 6 months and have unfortunately gained back some of the weight.  I have been approved for a revision and am scheduled for August 25th.  They will remove the band and do the revision at the same time.  I heard from many the recovery is a little tougher but I feel like nothing could be worse then having reflux all the time and never getting any sleep at night.  I will let you know how it goes.

Deb
emjayel56
on 8/10/09 2:00 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Good Luck Deb and please keep me posted... my revision is Aug 31. 

Maryjo
lenerbean
on 9/4/09 5:17 am
       HI,  Thanks for the imput on lap band versus RNY. I am just in the starting process of all the testing, but hope to have everything done and schedule for a RNY in November sometime.. I was sitting on the fence on what route to go as my surgeon said it was up to me.  But in the last few days I have been doing more research and have decided on the RNY.   Thanks for the information you all shared it helped alot..   carlene
schel
on 9/16/09 4:00 am
Maryjo,
You have a lot more patience than me!  2 Bands?  I have the one I hate with me right now.  I am looking at RNY revision.  I meet with my surgeon for my 1st time Oct 1st.  I hate my band!!!
I only can eat junk!  Can't get anything healthy to go through without a lot of pain, thus went from pre band surgery weight of 276, to 264, to 284 to now 311.  How does that work??
On top of that this week diagnosed with pre diabetes.  Talk about putting icing on the cake!!
Cake mmmmm I'd love a piece of cake!!  Thats what got me here in the 1st place those damn sweets!  I look forward to my body telling me that I am going to dump if I eat those things anymore. 

I to am here to see if anyone else went through this and if they would do it again.

Keep typing ya'all cuz I want more stories and info!!

Thanks, got to get back to work.
Schel :o)
emjayel56
on 9/16/09 5:57 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi schel,
I can surely relate to your problems and frustration with the band; I went thru a similar period where i had a hard time eating food but high fat junk food had no problem getting thru.  It has something to do with the consistency of high fat food that allows it to pass thru the band with ease.  I went thru periods of tightening band, loosening band, etc. but to no avail.  When the 2nd band was put in just this past February i should have opted then for the RNY but did not and eventually that band was ineffective so i had no choice.

Good luck to you.
maryjo
schel
on 9/18/09 10:00 am
Thanks Maryjo.
S
sweetforlife
on 9/22/09 6:21 am - Canada
Thanks guys you  are making my decision to revert to RNY easier and easier...I too am having problems with the band...60 lbs in two years. c'mon. It is disppointing as I was self pay $16500.
Most Active