Lap Band Revision to RNY

emjayel56
on 7/25/09 10:04 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
I have had two lapbands over the past 9 years, the 2nd one was put in February of this year.  I am now in the process of scheduling a revision to a RNY because the band has caused a dilated espophagus and other problems.  I would love to hear success stories from those who have had this type of revision.  Thanks for your feedback.  Maryjo
brandyII
on 7/25/09 1:35 pm, edited 7/25/09 1:36 pm
Maryjo,

I got my lap band in 8/07 and never lost weight with it and ended up with GERD.  During the 14 months I had the band I went in for fills but tended to be a sweet eater and those things would go right through the band even though I had restriction.  Frustrated with vomitting up "healthy" foods I went for the sliders.  Anyway I had it removed and was so frustrated with myself and WLS that I decided I would try to go it on my own.  After a few months my old large size stomach showed it's ugly head and I went back to my surgeon requesting the RNY.  My daugher had the RNY after I was banded and had been successful and after living through it with her I decided to give it a try and so had the RNY 8 months after I had my band removed.  So far so good and I still pinch myself as I was so unsuccessful with the lap band.  I had chosen the wrong surgery fo the wrong reasons.  I'm losing with RNY and haven't had any complications, knock on wood!  I won't say it was a walk in the park especially in the beginning but things seem to be getting easier as time passes and I'm actually losing weight.  My ticker doesn't show it but I gained a lot after I had my band removed and was up to 259 lbs prior to surgery.  Good luck with your revision, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Kenna C.
on 7/27/09 2:39 am - Demopolis, AL
I am also a bandsters with not good results and hoping for a revision.  I would like to hear some success stories too.  I've only lost around 60 lbs in 2.5 years and have a long way to go. 
Pam M.
on 7/27/09 3:23 pm, edited 7/27/09 4:04 pm - WA
I'm not far enough out yet to give you a success story, but I had my revision on 5/26. I got my band on 7/18/08, and by November I had to have emergency surgery to correct a slipped band. I finally figured out that the band was not going to get me to goal, and with high blood pressure and sleep apnea, I wanted something more effective. I lucked out, my revision surgery was approved by my insurance company. I credit my awesome surgeoon for that, he really put together a great case for why I needed revision.

The RNY is MUCH more effective than the band. I will say that the recovery is more difficult, or at least it as been for me. Not so much pain wise, but with fatigue and low energy. I have a hard time getting in my 750 calories a day (I hear it gets easier), so still get very tired, and sometimes light headed and weak. BUT, I will say that every day gets a bit easier.

I was at 271 on surgery day, and I am down 44 pounds in 9 weeks. I never lost that well with the band.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

emjayel56
on 7/27/09 8:35 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
Thanks so much for the encouraging words Pam .... It's encouraging to hear and congrats on your success.  Keep me posted on how you are doing.  Maryjo
asweeten
on 7/27/09 10:37 pm
I have had a Molina band for over 6 yrs and have been very successful keeping the 80 lbs off that I lost which is amazing as so many ppl do not.  I have severe GERD that haunts me at night and when it happens I am usually up and down all not.  I went to the Dr. yestereday and he is recommending revision to RNY.  I was so surprised and never expected him to say that since I am not considered obese anymore.  I am going in for some test to prove medical necessity for my insurance and hopefully will have a revision in the future and also maybe I will lose that last 30 or so pounds I didin't lose with the band.  Can;t wait to hear how things go for you
Angie
emjayel56
on 7/27/09 10:50 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi Angie,
thanks for your reply and I can relate to what you are saying.  I too lost a substantial amount of weight (100 lbs) with the band and despite numerous problems (including replacing the band with a new band) I have maintained the 100 lb loss.  I have more than the 30 lbs you mention that you have to lose; I need to lose another 50 or so and am hoping that I can finally accomplish that goal with the help of the RNY.  It is frustrating to say the least to know that you have lost a substantial amount of weight and have maintained that loss but to hear that it is not working properly and needs to be replaced.

Not much we can do but go with the flow I guess.
Good luck to you; keep me posted.
Maryjo
Nerd Lover
on 7/28/09 12:40 am
I'm also considering getting RNY because I have not had much success with my band.  What I want to know is if you have to get the band removed and THEN go back again for RNY or can they do it all at once?
        ~*ChRiStY*~

high/current/goal
272/143/140

I  NERDS!!!
Pam M.
on 7/28/09 9:50 am - WA
Surgeons are all different, but my surgeon did the band removal and RNY all in the same surgery on the same day. Thankfully. Don't think I would have wanted to go in again!

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

emjayel56
on 7/28/09 12:44 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
In most instances they do both at the same time.  I have heard a few occurrences though where some people have had so much scar tissue that the surgeon elected to just remove the band and then give them 6 months or so to heal and come back for the RNY.  That is not the plan in my case though.  Good luck to you.
Most Active