scar tissue & revision

eileen1126
on 7/23/09 9:59 pm

Has anyone ever been told that a RNY could not be done due to too much scar tissue from a previous wls.  I had my lap band taken out 2 yrs ago it could not be replaced because the doctor said there was too much scar tissue from the band.  Now I'm looking into having an RNY and met with a new doctor this week,  he said it may be to risky to do any more wls due to the scar tissue.   I will have to go for an endoscope before he will know for sure.  Has anyone come across this and what was your out come. 
Thanks Eileen

emjayel56
on 7/24/09 11:19 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
I have had 2 bands put in past 9 years, the last one in February of this year.  I am having it taken out next month and converting to RNY.  There is a lot of scar tissue and iam told that it becomes more complicated but an experienced doctor can work around it.  I am told that the complication risk is 30% higher.  Would love to hear from others that have done this.  Good luck Eileen.
Maryjo
eileen1126
on 7/24/09 11:49 pm

Hi Maryjo,
Actually I was thinking maybe he just does not want to assume the risk of surgery with me.  He really does have a great track record.  How has the weight lost been for you with the band?  After 9 year you must really have the band figured out by now.  Mine was very  unpredictable from day to day.   Well at this point  I am just trying to  loose all the weight I can and if he  says  he will not do it I am sure I can find someone just as qualified who will.  On a good note I has brought me out of a funk and I given me the motivation to move forward.  Good luck with your revision next month.  Please update and how everything goes. 
Eileen

ctucke15
on 7/25/09 2:36 am
Good Morning !
I had the Lap Band 3 years ago and only lost 55 pds when I have another 100 pounds to go. I am scheduled to have a RNY on August 4th and today I started my Prep. Yes you will have to have an Endoscopy to determine how much Scar tissue but if you find the right Qualified Dr it should be no problem so please don't worry. It will work out.

Thanks
Cynthia
emjayel56
on 7/25/09 5:56 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Thanks Cynthia for the encouraging words..... good luck to you as well
brandyII
on 7/25/09 9:12 am

I had my lap band removed 8 months before I had my RNY surgery and it was all done by the same surgeon.  He said it took longer due to the scar tissue but was still able to do it laproscopically and I'm fine!  Plus the RNY actually works!!  Good luck, Nancy.

Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Dieting_Di
on 7/25/09 11:50 pm - Canada

Morning;
I had gastric bypass done in 1980 and my gall bladder removed in 1997.  I had a lot of scar tissue.  My Doctor told me the surgury would be risky but possible.  I had an open revision to RNY on June 26th.  The surgury took about 4 1/2 hours but everything went well and so far I have lost 40 lbs.  As long as you have a skilled Doctor (I really recommend mine) everything should go well.  I'll admit that the first 2 days I wondered what I had done to myself but that passed quickly and I was up and out the third day and haven't looked back since.  Good luck in finding a good Dr.  I had Dr. Pop at Barix clinic in Ypsilanti Mi.  I heard he was the best for revision surgery and I now can say I agree.

LOL

Diana

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/09 4:16 am
Hi Eileen, not all bariatric surgeons are revision surgeons, which requires a lot more experience and a different skillset as well.  Revisions are very tricky and carry a much higher complication rate, so you definitely want to shop around.  A good revision surgeon will usually take on patients that other surgeons cannot help.  You might want to pop over to the RNY forum and  see what surgeons others have used for a revision to the RNY.
eileen1126
on 7/26/09 11:58 pm

Thanks  for all the replies...At first I felt very discouraged but I come to realize this is not going to happen overnight so I will take my time and do my research.  You make a good point  about a surgeon who specialize in revision surgery. 
Eileen

Monique H.
on 7/27/09 2:47 am
Hi Eileen,

I was told by a surgeon that my original rny could not be done because of all the abdominal surgeries that I had from a car accident. I'd had so many that I no longer have a belly button from them opening me up so many times. Well I not only had my original rny I've also had a revision. Each surgery did take longer. My revision actually took over 8 hours because of all the scar tissue and adhesions, but I'm here and did have it done. Don't give up whatever you do. If I'd given up I'd still be 395 lbs or more.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active