CANDY CANE ROUX

Beth D.
on 7/23/09 3:24 am - Northport, AL

I was searching through here and found out that this is a "new" complication that MANY of us are having, yet we are blaming ourselves for weight regain, etc. This is mainly for RNY gastric bypass patients, who had surgery at least 4 years ago and longer, and are having the following issues:

weight regain

vomiting

gastric issues (gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation)

dumping syndrome

eating more than usual

not being able to eat some days

fatigue

mental stress, feelings of failure

well I just called my surgeon's nurse and am awaiting for their call back so we can go over this issue.

About a year ago, I went in to my surgeon for a check up and he basically said to exercise more, eat less, etc. Basically GO ON A DIET.

Well, I can't eat like normal people as of this day but SOMEDAYS I can out-eat my husband.

I usually get so nauseated, go to sleep or vomit after eating a meal.

There are things I still cannot eat and tolerate.

I know the weight regain is NOT my fault because I do exercise, and recently I am experiencing sugar balance problems SINCE surgery (in 2005, RNY) and I have been put on glucophage to balance my sugar/insulin.

I cannot lose weight. I just cant. I have fasted, dieted, quit junk food, fast food, sugar, even quit drinking diet drinks (carbonation) and STILL cannot lose even 1 lb but I GAIN weight, and gain it FAST.

I know of one person on here that has reconstructed RNY surgery (basically did it again) because of this syndrome (candy cane roux syndrome) and she has lost ALL her weight and then some (since her original RNY).

Is anyone experiencing this, and have you had this issue resolved with another surgery? If so, how are you doing as far as having the symptoms and weight regain or loss?

Photobucket  PhotobucketPhotobucket  PhotobucketPhotobucket

Dott
on 5/22/15 6:31 pm - Albuquerque, NM

yes I have, RNY was 05-05-09 and revision (removal of candy cane) was 09-29-14  doing pretty good I have other health factors so recovery took awhile> I was HW; 370 to 142 then 202 found candy cane and now 178 after revision but down 5 sizes I am loosing inches this time instead of lbs.  now the nausea is back so I am curious and worried if the candy cane can come back since I am not too sure why I developed one in the 1st place

Dott
on 5/22/15 6:32 pm - Albuquerque, NM

Also as a PS to my previous post... I am having a heck of a time with my blood sugars, they go as low as 32 so I have to be extremely careful with what I eat.

SugarT
on 1/20/16 11:45 pm

Hi, Did you continue to lose weight after the candy cane removal ? It's been 3 months since my surgery and it seems as though I can't lose anymore. Looking for some answers, Thanks Everyone :)

Ellie J.
on 7/23/09 6:24 am - TN

I'm experiencing something similar to that... but I am thinking it's just plain old "stretched stoma" problems.  However, I have been dumping, for the first time ever... and I checked my blood sugar at my grandmas for the first time after surgery (6 yrs ago - I was diabetic pre-op) and my sugar was pretty low to have just eaten a cookie.  (I was trying to see how fast my food dumped into my intestines or whatever)

I am in the process of trying to get a revision.. I still have "some" restriction, but if you give me enough time, I can finish a whole meal.. i just have to do it in "stages"...lol. 

Sometimes, I get this horrible cramp right in the center of my chest/back (it's not my gallbladder) and then I dry heave until I eventually end up with a mouth full of spit. (Lol sorry that sounded gross - but this happens out of the blue, even when I've not been eating.)  I also get really hot and flushed when this happens.  When it clears up, it's like "Hmm...I'm hungry again"..I eat a snack , and it happens again.

I have gastric issues and mental stress all the time, so I don't know if I can attribute it to anything out of the norm...Lol.   But the whole spitting/foaming thing is disturbing...and the fact that I've gained 30 lbs, feel like crap a majority of the time, and am hungry every 30 minutes.

I've tried phentermine, meridia, adderall (well, it's for adult ADD but I should've still had SOME appetite loss), dieting, low carb, liquids, fasting, etc.  The most I've lost is 6 lbs doing this and I gain it right back in 2 days or so.

It's horrible.

Most Active