StomaphyX

nan_mac
on 7/22/09 11:40 pm
Hi I need to hear from anyone who has participated in a StomaphyX study.  I may have an opportunity to participate in a clinical trial, and I want to know if those who have already done so feel it was worthwhile.  What was your experience like?  The procedure itself, your recovery (if any) and have you lost weight since the procedure?  Do any of you know yet if it was a sham or the actual procedure?
Thanks in advance for sharing !
punkie112003
on 7/26/09 12:57 pm - West Monroe, LA
Hi, I considered having stomaphyx done but spoke with my general doctor and a WLS doctor in Fortt Worth. Both shared same opinion on procedure...... Wouldn't recomend.
When you get this procedure done you may end up having opening too tight and won't let food go thru, causing vomiting. I just had the ROSE procedure done and so far so good. Recovery was in no time.

Anissa
ALICIAMHERNANDEZ
on 7/29/09 8:13 am - SACRAMENTO, CA
Hi Anissa,

My name is Alicia and I had the gastic bypass 6 years ago. I am really struggleing to keep from gaining. I am up and down. To go down I have to eat once a day. I am concidering the Rose precedure and wanted to know a bit about it. Like is it covered by insurance. If not do you know how much it is if you pay out of pocket. How long ago did you have it and how much have you lost? Any other info you can provide would be great help to me. Thanks

Alicia
punkie112003
on 7/30/09 12:02 pm, edited 7/30/09 12:13 pm - West Monroe, LA
Hey Alicia

I had ROSE done on July 23. Today is my one week post op and I am down 5 pounds. I dont think that is alot considering that i have been living on wonton soup (minus wonton), jello and New Whey (liquid protein). The procedure was fairly easy. You first have to have an EGD done to see how big your pouch is and whether you are a candidate for procedure. After that you go on liquid diet 3 days before procedure. The procedure it self takes only hour or less. The only complaint was a sore throat. My procedure was done at 330pm i left at 530pm. I went shopping and to a museum the next day and rode home (5 hours away).  Will keep you posted on weight loss but the procedure it self was easy. You can go on Youtube and search for ROSE and there is a video on how it is done. As far as insurance goes, mine doesn't cover it. Procedure itself was 9500.00. That was not including the first EGD, which insurance did cover it.

Hope this is helpful
Anissa
jenny P.
on 7/30/09 12:48 am - comanche, ok
HI!
I recently had StomaphyX procedure. It was not a study but I paid out of pocket for the procedure. I have lost 19 lbs thus far and virtually no pain other than a sore throat for a day or two. The diet is important and if your surgeon is only giving you instructions for two weeks out look for another one! This procedure should be accompanied by a very strict diet for at least 9 weeks and a close relationship with a dietician for months afterwards.
I was out of pocket $6900. That includes everything but food.
Good Luck!
Jen
animass
on 7/30/09 12:31 pm - Silver Spring, MD
Where are they offering a clinical trial?  I need to lose weight after a knee injury but as you know when you have a knee injury you can't exercise and when you can't exercise you gain weight, however what is the 1st thing the orth doc says "you need to lose weight" duh
Most Active