Were you denied revision coverage but covered in the end?

Ca_girl
on 7/21/09 5:51 am - McKinney, TX

I have UHC but have been denied revision coverage due to the fact that my BMI is below 40. UHC has approved that my band be removed only but will not cover RNY after that removal.

I heard somewhere that some insurance companies cover the procedure after the fact if the surgeon deems it necessary to revise due to stomach damage.

Anyone have experience?

ginau
on 7/21/09 8:52 am - mesa, AZ

Can you fight them  with your co-morbidities??  ar have they all been resolved?  also how far under the 40 are you? once the band comes out - you might go up ( hate to point that out - Sorry )

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/09 11:01 am

When my band was removed last year I was under a 35 bmi.  I just knew I'd be able to maintain the weight loss... NOT!  The hunger and cravings I experienced pre-op came back with a vengeance and it seemed like everything I ate turned to fat.  In about 6 months I gained enough weight to qualify for a revision.  Sounds crazy, but insurance won't cover WLS surgery if you don't meet the NIH guidelines.

babsintx
on 7/21/09 9:50 pm - GA
Hi CA girl,

UHC covered my revision from band to sleeve due to complications. My BMI was 38 at the time of revision in March last year. I hear UHC are brutal in CA. I dont know what to tell you since they approved me the first time after 2 weeks. But I had lots of complications and would not have been a good candidate for either banding or RNY and the sleeve was the best option for me. GOod luck!!! Fight it!!

Babs

Most Active