Rose Procedure (Restorative Obesity Surgery Endescope)

Bcastil
on 7/20/09 4:55 am - Grand Island, NY
I am looking for a surgeron for  The procedure, called “ROSE" (Restorative Obesity Surgery, Endolumenal),  I live in Buffalo NY area. I would like to find one in the area or in Erie Pa area.
I hav gained almost 80lbs back since have gastric by-pass surgery in 1968. I have suffered from bad knees due to weight and arthritis
maaskoo66
on 7/22/09 12:27 am - east meadow, NY
hello, my name is maureen i have had the rose procedue in december of 2008 by a Dr. Shawn Garber. I know he is not in the PA area he is in ny (516) 616-5500 in case you want it. He is one of the best in NY and his staff is amazing.  Even if you call him he might be able to tell you who in PA does the rose procedure. I wish you the best of luck. and he is a great guy too.
Bcastil
on 7/22/09 1:20 am - Grand Island, NY
Hi,
Thank you for responding to my quest to find a Dr who does the procedure. Unfortunately that is a little to far for me to travel.  especially since I am sure there will be followup visits.
Please share how successful has the procedure been for you.  I had gastric by-pass in 1968 and now have gained over 75lbs back.  Since getting older I have been having problems with knees and need to take some of the weight off.
Thank you for your help.
Bridget
JROLFSON
on 7/23/09 12:18 am - St. George, UT
Hello Bridget:

I'm so interested in your story as I thought Gastric Bypass was not done until the 1970's...When I received my Revision to RNY Gastric Bypass in 1989 I was told that the procedure wasn't given until the 70"s...Are you sure you didn't have Gastric Stapling?

I'm curious about this as when I first had weight loss surgery it was 1979 and I was told by my Dr. that the only procedure being done at that time was the Gastric Stapling or Gastroplasty and the Intestinal Bypass which they stopped doing as the mortality rate was to high...

I know my post doesn't have anything to do with your question...I would just like to get more information on this...

Thank you.

Janie
Bcastil
on 7/23/09 12:43 am - Grand Island, NY
Well you got me thinking now so I took out my medical records I had requested copies since my dr has retired.
The surgery took place actually in 1984 it says Principal Procedure is Gastric Bypass with Liver Biopsy but I know that I had some stapling and it does reflect that in the medical records. So it is a little confusing.
I did read that staples were used so not sure why the operation indicates Gastric Bypass and does not reference Gastric Stapling. 
I do know that it was a new procedure at the time and I had to go to Rochester Ny to have it done since they were not doing it in the Buffalo Area where I live.
JROLFSON
on 7/23/09 6:56 am - St. George, UT
Okay well that makes much more sense...You probably did have a Gastric Bypass and they staple across the main pouch and then suture across....It doesn't say RNY or ROUX N Y Gastric Bypass?

If it doesn't it could be you had Gastric Stapling and they bypass some of the intestines...you might want to have your current Dr. read the surgical notes and they might be able to tell you.

Janie
Bcastil
on 7/23/09 11:14 pm - Grand Island, NY
I checked and it doesn't say anywhere RNY ROUX NY Gastric Bypass. According to my Dr it was a Gastric Bypass. Yes they did stable across the main pouch and bypassed some of the intestines.
I am so sorry I had it done.  It has caused so many problems.  I tried to get it reversed but they are only doing it in Texas and there are many complication later.  I read many horror stories.
There is so many different procedures now I wish they had back then.
Since I gained over 75lbs back that is why I amlooking to have the ROSE procedure.  But I guess because it is new not many Dr are participating.
Bridget
JROLFSON
on 7/24/09 1:45 am - St. George, UT
Believe me I feel your pain....Please investigate thoroughly your decision to have the ROSE as the results on the boards have not been exactly glorious...Not saying you won't do well but their are other options...check into them all...the only problem with the other options is they are invasive so it means higher risk, longer healing time, but better results....

I have been through the WLS merry go round "3" times now with just having a Revision to ERNY there is no magic pill Bridget as we all know...I have lost 30 lbs now with ERNY but it didn't just fall off I've had to work for every pound lost...But it's a tool that has helped make it somewhat easier but with it comes other things to think about such as Vitamins, the way I eat, so really research I did for 2 years before making my final decision.

Good Luck to you....

Janie
Libby S.
on 8/10/09 11:12 am - Mobile, AL
 Hi Janie,

You mention in your post that there are other options, though they are higher risk.  I like the sound of the ROSE because it is non-invasive.  At this point, I have only regained 40 pounds but I sure don't want to regain any more !  I am right at 35 BMI now.

I want to do the research on all the available revision options - I just dont know WHAT to research.  Before THIS week, I had not heard of StomaphyX and ROSE.  Would you please list the options for me, so that I can research them?

Thank you in advance.

Libby

Patricia F.
on 6/18/10 8:20 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi
have you had the ROSE procedure? i am starting the process of getting approval in California
Did you have good results?
thanks Pat
[email protected]
Most Active