Help ERNY'S or anyone with similiar issues!!

JRinAZ
on 7/22/09 12:50 pm - Layton, UT
On July 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM Pacific Time, Lorie2 wrote:
Hi there,

I'm going thru the same thing as you are. I had an erny done in Feb. My doc put me on flagyl thinking there was a bacteria in there. No help.. The told me to do some fiber which I started a powder i put in my food and drinks. (can't taste it at all). They also told me to do probiotics. I also started that. Also get Activia yogurt. It has live cultures that help you get regular. I also took imodium, well after all of that, I did have one day of a normal bm. I backed off of this stuff and now in the bathroom ten to twelve times. Also with urgency. I'm going back on my plan of stuff and try to get regular again. If this doesn't work the doc wants to check for parasites. This is also a possibility. Let me know how things go for you. I can use advice too!!

Lorie!
Go GLUTEN FREE!!!!    I have had very few potty issues since cleaning up my eating and now it's just a lifestyle to live low carb and gluten free!

"If" I have any issues it's cuz I've eaten out and something has gluten in it that shouldn't (sauce or seasoning, etc)

Good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Lorie2
on 7/22/09 2:01 pm
    JOYCE......                         Is the diet your on mainly like adkins. Not sure what to eat. Any suggestions for meals would be great. or snacks too.

Lori

JRinAZ
on 7/22/09 3:07 pm - Layton, UT
On July 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM Pacific Time, Lorie2 wrote:
    JOYCE......                         Is the diet your on mainly like adkins. Not sure what to eat. Any suggestions for meals would be great. or snacks too.

Lori

Lori,
Most Bariatric programs have their post-ops living/eating low carb.  Did your nutritionist give you some basics? 

Our rule of thumb as ERny's is since we malabsorb protein an fats; it makes sense that we should focus on eating PROTEIN and FATS (healthy fats like EVOO, butter, avocados, etc)!!!!  Carbs will slow the weight loss and will wreck havoc with our plumbing.  Carbs and ugly fats (like fried fish, chicken nuggets, etc) will cause the horrid dark orange oil slicks!  WhewEEEE!!!!

Atkins is a good plan but I go one step further and eliminate anything with flour, grains, gluten!  I added a bit of rice back into my diet (started with cream of rice) and my runnies immediately started firming up (sorry TMI).  As I eliminated the yucky foods then my entire system calmed down.  ......  Induction for Atkins is under 14 grams of carbs per day.  Yikes!  I'm on maintenance so my low carbing is more like 60 to 100 grams per day.

With the "gluten free" lifestyle, my carb choices are more of the low glycemic veggies & fruits and a little rice, corn tortilla, rice crackers, etc.  You have to be careful though cuz just because something doesn't have gluten in it does not make it a healthy/ low calorie option.  Find Balance!

Google "low carb" menus, meals, recipes.  Join the [email protected]

Here's a decent link for ideas:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbmenus1/Low_Carb_Menu s.htm

Talk to your surgeon/doc about going gluten free.  It doesn't hurt to try it.  A simple diet adjustment is a whole lot easier than taking oodles of meds and trying to medicate the heck out of the problem.

Hope that helps........plz call if you ever just want to babble
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

afmom
on 7/23/09 12:33 am
Thanks so much for the link to the Low Carb Menus site, Joyce!!
Mignon
Lorie2
on 7/22/09 2:02 pm
I HAVE YOUR NUMBER I'LL GIVE YOU A CALL SOON. THANKS!!!

LORI
SheriAZ
on 7/30/09 5:46 am
Having felt like a queen on a throne for the past 8 months I can relate to the bathroom issues. I had an urgency issue also, I had to be there right now or it was a problem. One call to my Dr.and he told me I was lactose intolerant in a big way. One week off dairy and no more problems. No smelly gas and back to less then 4 times in the bathroom and the good news is there are no more slips. Dr. told me that most patients who have ERNY will experience lactose intolerence. Something to think about all I know is its the first time since surgery that I feel good and I am now losing again. Down 70 lbs since surgery in Dec.I was at a stand still for 3 months then cut out dairy and got back on track. I was in starvation mode from losing so much in the bathroom.This worked for me.
JROLFSON
on 7/30/09 6:51 am - St. George, UT
Hi Sheri:

I'm am so glad to see you back on the boards...Last time I talked with you I was worried about your issues...How exciting for you 70 lbs...that's simply amazing...What is your average weight loss weekly do you think?

When do you feel you had your fastest weight loss happen? Was it right after surgery? Several months after surgery? Or spread out throughout all the months since surgery?

I ask all these questions because I'm trying to get a feel for how long I can expect to continue to lose...I have found that the more I eat the faster I lose...I don't eat major carbs anymore like candy, sugar...But I do eat potatoe, and butter, I have always loved butter...I find I crave veggies and have never in my life before and also meat...

It makes me feel great to know your still losing even after 7 months...

I'm so glad your back on track and that you feel better...Simply Great...

Janie
SheriAZ
on 7/30/09 8:59 am
Hi Janie,
Well as far as an average with me there is no such thing. I lost 50 lbs up to March and then nothing until June and then started again losing about 5 lbs every other week. I tend to go up and down a few lbs. and then drop 5 and stay there. Its hard to judge. Things have been so messed up with me I cana't figure it out. I have dropped sizes quickly though. I started at a size 26 and am now in 16 to 18. Even when I wasn't losing lbs. I was losing inches. I do expect to keep losing though. I watch my dairy and gluten although I have to have a blood test for the gluten to be sure. I don't do potatoes and I can't do butter. I can't do whey protein since thats milk. I stay away from the white stuff and the high fat. I do as much protein as I can and then I concentrate on fiber. I try to drink water before anything else and a glass of wine is my only vice, with the approval of the Dr. You will do great I am sure just keep up the good work.
Most Active