Medicare Revision Policy (X-posted)

VelvetKiss
on 7/17/09 12:02 pm - Broadview Heights, OH
I was wondering if anyone had a revision using Medicare?  If so does anyone know what there policy on revisions are?  I know it says they do cover them if you have an approved Surgeon and are having it at a Center of Excellence and then it says if certain criteria are met and I have not been able to find what that criteria is, does anyone know?  I am putting in for a revision from Lap Band to DS due to inadequate weight loss and having acid reflux but I am not sure that is enough.  I know that I still meet all the original criteria for WLS.  I have a BMI of 83, Type 2 Diabetes and I am starting to develop Hypertension.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am also going to post this on the insurance board.

Thank You!
terilynn112
on 7/17/09 11:59 pm - maryland, NY
I called them and they said if I still meet the criteria initially for the wls that revision would be covered.

I'm seriously thinking about a revision from a lapband to bypass (rNY). I however was told they ONLY pay for lapband and RNY. So I'm not sure how going to a DS is going to work.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

VelvetKiss
on 7/18/09 3:55 am - Broadview Heights, OH
Hi Teri,

Thanks so much for the information.  It is very helpful.  According to Medicare's web site this is what they pay for Revision wise:  The BPD/DS is the DS surgery.

Revision History

04/2006 - Medicare will cover open and laparoscopic Roux-en Y gastric bypass (RYGBP), laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) and open and laparoscopic biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD/DS) if certain criteria are met and the procedure is performed in an approved facility. Effective date: 02/21/2006

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/mcd/viewncd.asp?ncd_id=100.1&ncd_vers ion=2&basket=ncd%3A100%2E1%3A2%3ABariatric+Surgery+for+Treat ment+of+Morbid+Obesity

I hope this helps in way of what they cover.  I will be using just straight Medicare part A & B, my secondary wont cover anything since it will be done out of state, so that also could be why you might be limited to the Lap band or RNY.  I would check if your interested in another surgery besides RNY.  I wish you luck on your journey. 

Thank again for the information.

Tonya

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 12:14 pm - KY
MEdicare does cover DS....when did they tell you that they did not?
beemerbeeper
on 7/19/09 9:20 am - AL
Come on over to the DS board.  There are always a lot of revision folks there!!

Becky in NC

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/09 5:08 am
I'm thinking that when they wrote "revision history," they meant the history of the document--like things added or subtracted to the document.
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 12:16 pm - KY

Yes but beward of a group of people who can be quite rude in their replies. 

terilynn112
on 8/3/09 10:09 pm - maryland, NY
We get that group over on the band boards OFTEN. One reason I won't go to the DS Board. Number two, is I hate the idea of leaving my surgeon, and they don't do DS. The brightest part of having my band is I've gotten to be great friends with the group I have. Having faith, and trust in your surgeon, team is a big part of this for me.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Most Active