Just joined Having Surgery 23 july 09

PRKN_LDY
on 7/17/09 2:10 am - Bowie, MD
 Hello everybody

Just joined  Having Surgery 23 july 09  Still having problems navigating site although I'm pretty computer savy :0(.  I Live in Bowie, work in DC and having surgery in Baltimore :0) 

Looking for an Angel 

Angelina
virginia O.
on 7/19/09 10:44 am - haverhill, MA
Best wishes for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery.  

Kerry J.
on 7/19/09 9:40 pm - Santa Clara, UT
What kind of revision are you getting? I think your best bet for finding someone in or around Baltimore will be on the surgical board associated with the revision type you're getting. When I got a revision to DS, the DS Forum peeps were great support and there were a number of angels watching over me and my fam.

Kerry
PRKN_LDY
on 7/20/09 1:11 am - Bowie, MD
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am having a revision of the RNY Surgery I had in 2001.I was not prepared for the surgery. Poor Nutritional guidelines. They called me one day to tell me there was a cancellation & I jump at the chance to get it done. Bad choice.

I am going to be the best patient Dr. Kligman has ever had. I am currently having Knee & ankle issues ( They say I need a replacement for both... that's how bad it is) Right now I walk everyday for 30 minutes, my feet swell, my knee is very angry ) I just go home ice it , soak it and elevate them ;0). If your quality of life is poor and you can do anything to improve it's your responsibility to do just that. I will check that out. Thanks for the suggestion 

Kerry J.
on 7/20/09 2:00 am - Santa Clara, UT
Your RNY experience sounds familiar; I had a gastric bypass / RNY back in 1980 and had no guidelines or after care from my surgeon. I lost my excess weight and managed to keep the weight off for about 15 years, but then lost control and gained it all back. You can read all about my experiences on my profile if you want to know about what all happened.

When you mentioned that you're going to have some joints replaced, that really is waving a red flag as far as having RNY as you will not be able to take NSAIDs with RNY. Have you looked into getting a revision to DS? When I finally decided I needed to really do something about my weight, I really didn't know what options were available. I knew I wanted to get rid of the damn pouch if I could, but a band didn't make any sense to me so I started digging. When I discovered the DS, it was like, "this is it" the more I learned the more I liked it. 

I got the revision to DS last September and even though I had some complications from the surgery, and a difficult recovery, I could not be more pleased with the results! One of the things I really like about the DS, is that there are no foods that are off limits, no dumping and no food sticking, because there is no "pouch". I have a fully functional but smaller stomach complete with pyloric valve and duodenum. I do have to supplement with vitamins A, D, E & K, but that's a very small price to pay IMO.

Anyway, I would encourage you to check out the DS and ask some questions over on the DS Forum: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/

Kerry
Most Active