OT: The End to Overeating

starrgirrl
on 7/13/09 10:21 am - los angeles, CA

Hi Friends-

Since having my band removed, I've regained all of the weight and then some. While I am investigating revisional surgery, I'm also seeking information about the neuroscience of eating addictions. I've been convinced that my relationship with food is triggered by a chemical imbalance in the brain. This belief was born from my immediate relief of food obsession when I started taking phen/fen years ago. While I was only on the drug ****tail for a few months, they were incredibly peaceful months where I didn't really care about food.

It's been a heartbreaking journey to have to have the Band removed and then to regain the weight.

Last week a friend sent me an interview with Dr. David Kessler, author of the book, The End to Overeating. Dr. David Kessler is the former head of the FDA and he's been researching the biochemical connection of food addiction. I'm sharing a link to a one hour lecture that he gave in May 09. In it he describes the biochemistry, experience and "treatment" of food addiction. It is the most accurate description of what I've been experiencing my whole life.

What I love about him is that he's one of us... he knows of what he speaks. And he shares with great compassion, dignity and wisdom.

I'm so grateful, because now I understand what is going on in my brain when I can't stop thinking about driving across town for my favorite ice cream. I feel like I'm the poster child for everything he talks about. Now that I understand what is going on, it's easier to say, "That's just my brain chemistry... I'm building new pathways..." and let the impulse pass.

I'm not saying that this is a solution.... but it certainly is providing me answers. And so I'm sharing it here in case it is helpful to you, too.

This link is to a one-hour lecture he gave in May.

The End of Overeating
“Pediatrician and former head of the Food and Drug Administration David Kessler says the U.S. food industry has manipulated American consumers into unhealthy eating habits. In his book, "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite," Kessler describes how chronic overeaters might resist artificially induced food cravings."

ggirl2007
on 7/14/09 5:55 am - Dallas, TX
Will be sure to read this and hope it offers some suggestions. Thanks

Nothing taste as good as thin feels......
Start/Current/Goal Weight.......296/171/165

Janel32
on 7/14/09 8:08 am
Thank you for posting this!  I always love reading new books that deal with the psychological reasons for gaining weight and not just diet and exercise books.  I will definately read this.  I just finished a book called Mindless Eating that explains why we over eat on things like stale popcorn or the awful dollar store christmas candy.  Another good book is the recent one written by Jillian from biggest loser.  It has nothing to do with diet and exercise but goes into detail about hormone issues and weight gain.

WeeSteppn
on 7/15/09 2:51 am
I read this book and it's fantastic! I felt, like you did, that he was talking directly to me. Very, very powerful and informative. Loved it! Like you said, it isn't a cure all but at least let's you understand what is happening and why we are obsessed with food.

BTW: Good luck with your revision journey.

Mandy

~Mandy~

Lap Band - Feb 28, 2007      Revised to DS Dec 1, 2009
5' 5" - HW 240, SW 200, CW 132, GW 125

JanelG
on 7/15/09 9:16 am - Canada
I saw this book at the airport, and I was going to buy it...but then I thought "another diet book to add to my vast collection"  so I didn't buy it.  But it sounds interesting.  Does he give ideas and tips in the book on how to fight the addiction?  This is why I keep flip-flopping on a revision surgery, because no matter how many surgeries you have, you have to fix the mind FIRST!  I was hoping this would magically happen after my VSG, but nope.
So what can I replace food with??  I have been searching that answer for years!!
CoachRoz
on 7/15/09 10:23 am
Dear JaneIG, 

This is a pretty good book for the research he's put into understanding why diets CANNOT work based on how we are naturally wired as human beings.  To your point about "fixing your minde", Dr. Kessler does put a section in the book called "Food Rehab" and the list of things to do are good.

Unfortunately, this is one of the shortest sections of the book and he doesn't share his personal challenge and how he used a "food coach" (as he calls it) to make changes.  Plus, I don't believe he was every a severe yo-yo dieter.

Brian Wansick's work in Mindless Eating, Martha Beck's 4-Day Win and Dr. Kessler's books are my new favorites for tacking the real battlefield - our minds.  

We should start an OH.com book club!

Best and blessings,

Coach Roz Harris,
Beat Weight Regain w. ROSE Member Group Leader

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/09 12:44 am - AZ
On July 15, 2009 at 5:23 PM Pacific Time, CoachRoz wrote:
Dear JaneIG, 

This is a pretty good book for the research he's put into understanding why diets CANNOT work based on how we are naturally wired as human beings.  To your point about "fixing your minde", Dr. Kessler does put a section in the book called "Food Rehab" and the list of things to do are good.

Unfortunately, this is one of the shortest sections of the book and he doesn't share his personal challenge and how he used a "food coach" (as he calls it) to make changes.  Plus, I don't believe he was every a severe yo-yo dieter.

Brian Wansick's work in Mindless Eating, Martha Beck's 4-Day Win and Dr. Kessler's books are my new favorites for tacking the real battlefield - our minds.  

We should start an OH.com book club!

Best and blessings,

For anyone that is a chronic book buyer there is a cheaper alternative.  Most of them are new but some are used.  They are often times a penny for the book and $2-$3 for shipping:

www.AddALL.com

Click on "used and out of print books" and then sort by price lowest to highest.  It is rare that I cannot find a title there.

This site combines thousands of book sellers into one site.  It draws from private collectors, ebay, half.com, Amazon, all places.  I love this source for inexpensive books.

starrgirrl
on 7/19/09 12:54 am - los angeles, CA
In addition to the book, there is a free one hour video lecture he gave in May - the link is listed in the first post. I loved being able to watch the video, as I haven't had a lot of time to read lately. :)
Most Active