is sleeve better than band?

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/09 12:48 am - AZ
On July 16, 2009 at 6:09 AM Pacific Time, Mechelle J wrote:
I started having severe esopheageal spasms that was the most severe pain I have ever experienced.

Esophageal spasms hurt like a buggar.

One thing I have to comment on is that you write that the reason you are not at goal is because of bad food choices, liquid calories, and not exercising.

The sleeve is restrictive only, just like that band.  If you aren't at goal with a band you aren't likely to get to goal with a sleeve either.  You have to completely change your eating habits and you have to knock out white carbs to lose because no surgery type fixes white carbs.  You can eat through any WLS.  Are you sure another restrictive only procedure is going to do the trick for you?

It's a hard decision.  Most of us that are banded or sleeved did so because we don't want the malabsorptive aspect of surgery.  But you don't want another surgery that isn't going to get you to goal so it's something to consider.

babsintx
on 7/17/09 4:44 am - GA
Hi Mechelle,

As everyone else mentioned, if you are not doing well with the band due to compliance issues, then the sleeve is probably not a good bet. I can drink anything with the sleeve and I drink alcohol when I go out on a regular basis, but I also exercise and eat less when I know that I will be indulging. I would look into the sabotage behaviors first and see if you can work on those before considering which surgery you have.

Babs

emjayel56
on 7/27/09 2:27 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
both the band and the sleeve work on the same premise.... restriction only.  If band does not work odds are sleeve will not either.  I had explored going from a band to sleeve but tihs is what the surgeon explained to me and has recommended the RNY which has been more proven in the industry and around a longer time.  good luck
Most Active