Coffee = weight gain?

brandyII
on 7/12/09 7:52 am

A friend of mine has a cousin who also had RNY surgery and was told not to drink coffee because coffee drinkers can gain 15 to 20 pounds.  Has anyone else heard of such a thing?  Doesn't make sense to me.  I don't even drink coffee but just wanted a second opinion, thanks Nancy.

Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

mew6495
on 7/13/09 12:18 am - MI
On July 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM Pacific Time, brandyII wrote:

A friend of mine has a cousin who also had RNY surgery and was told not to drink coffee because coffee drinkers can gain 15 to 20 pounds.  Has anyone else heard of such a thing?  Doesn't make sense to me.  I don't even drink coffee but just wanted a second opinion, thanks Nancy.

It may have more to do with the creamers and sugars people put into coffee to liven them up.  Not sure just a thought....

JRinAZ
on 7/13/09 3:58 am - Layton, UT
On July 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM Pacific Time, brandyII wrote:

Many programs discourage coffee.  Caffeine is an appetite stimulant and also a diuretic.  So, you may have increased hunger AND pee off all of your valued liquids.  Also, with the Starbucks craze which has even made it's mark on McDonald's new marketing ploy; the loaded coffee's are the trend.  I've heard reports of hundreds of calories per cup.

That being said though....I know many many successful post-ops who enjoy a cup of decaf with some low fat or no fat add in's and who give it a shot of sugar free syrups or even a scoop of protein powder (IDS cinnamon in decaff is supposed to be VERY tastey) and do not have problems at all.

I seriously doubt anyone can attribute a 15 to 20 pound regain on one drink but......again, we're not supposed to drink our calories?

I think the same argument could be made of potatoes.  You can gain weight with that healhty little spud if you prepare it with high fats or smother it with calories when really it's a pretty healthy choice with high fiber.

O.K.,  LOL!  I'm easily off topic and on a soap box! 

Enjoy yourself a cup of decaf or better yet; a coffee flavored protein drink :)
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

brandyII
on 7/13/09 4:24 am
Thanks for all the info, must be the stimulant aspect like you said.  I'm a tea drinker and it really helps me get in all my meds!  Take care Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/09 11:22 am - Togo
Before I had my lap band in February, I was told by the nurse not to drink coffee. But she said it was because coffee is acidic and not good for the stomach and even more so not good for stomach type surgeries. Nevertheless I drink coffee every morning with nonfat milk. 

Most Active