proxiaml to distal rny

Carole Jones
on 7/10/09 11:08 pm - washington, dc
I wanted to know has anyone had their rny revised from proximal to distal, and if so has the weight loss been really slow. What advice can you give me. I am scheduled to have surgery sometime in late September. 

shele
on 7/11/09 9:25 pm

My loss  has been very slow.  I have to keep my carbs low, protein high, and be consistent with my vitamins. If I don't do all of that I will stall.  I have been loosing lately at a good pace, but It will slow again soon.  I can eat much better with this revision than with my rny due to the fat malasorbtion, but that will also depend on your common channel length after surgery.

Good Luck and ask anything you need to know!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Carole Jones
on 7/12/09 12:28 am - washington, dc
Oh I forgot to ask are you able to tolerate most foods? 

mew6495
on 7/11/09 10:48 pm - MI
On July 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM Pacific Time, Carole Jones wrote:
I wanted to know has anyone had their rny revised from proximal to distal, and if so has the weight loss been really slow. What advice can you give me. I am scheduled to have surgery sometime in late September. 
 I revised from a proximal RNY to an ERNY (extended) last October.  While my weight loss was slower then my original it was still acceptable for me.  I am at goal and not having an issue maintaining it.

For me the weight loss was different  this time around.  Instead of loosing quickly and steady I would drop a few pounds, stall for a bit and then loose a few more pounds.  This cycle tended to repeat itself through the course of the weight loss period.  

I try and stick mostly to protein but I do eat carbs as well, especially now that I am maintaining.  The carbs have seemed to help me with maintenance.  If I cut the carbs I have no doubt that I could loose additional weight.

Good luck to you on your upcoming surgery!

Carole Jones
on 7/12/09 12:40 am - washington, dc
Thank you for your response, was your revision done open or laporscopically? Are you able to tolerate most foods? what was your recovery time? What type of post op diet? How much weight have you lost since your revision.
Thanx  

mew6495
on 7/12/09 1:17 am - MI
On July 12, 2009 at 7:40 AM Pacific Time, Carole Jones wrote:
Thank you for your response, was your revision done open or laporscopically? Are you able to tolerate most foods? what was your recovery time? What type of post op diet? How much weight have you lost since your revision.
Thanx  
 My revision was done open and I am so glad it was!  The doctor fixed so many things for me.  2 bowel obstructions, a large hernia, cleared up quite a bit of scar tissue and cleaned up adhesions I had going on.

I can tolerate just about any food but....some foods cause me gas so I have learned what to avoid or consume with limits.

I went back to work in 4 weeks.  My recovery went quite well.  I had no major problems and it seemed to be one of the easier recoveries I have had out of 6 abdominal surgeries.

The first couple of weeks I was on liquid to soft food diet and then slowly introduced more foods as I could tolerate them.

I have lost 54 lbs since the morning of my revision.

Prior to my revision I has suffered from extreme constipation.  My PCP had suggested surgery to try and correct due to other issues it was causing.  I now have 2 bm's a day.  Not diarrhea but soft.  There is gas but both this and the diarrhea I have found can be controlled by the types of foods you consume.  And as time goes on I find I have less and less issue with both the gas and the diarrhea.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to PM me or post again.

Good luck on your journey.

ginau
on 7/12/09 12:08 am - mesa, AZ
Carole

Everyone is soo differant. I am like Marie  I loose slower  and Carbs are the key to loosing. stick to the basics - lots of water, lean proteins and low glycemic veggies -  avoid sugar at all cost !!  it not only slows weightloss - But also contributes to nasty gas.

How much are you looking to loose?

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Carole Jones
on 7/12/09 12:34 am - washington, dc
I would like to loss at least eighty lbs . Thank you for the information from all the post that I have read it seems to be that protein and water are important and to stay away from carbs.  That's something else I wanted to ask do you have problems with gas or diarrhea and can you tolerate most foods?  

Carole Jones
on 7/12/09 12:37 am - washington, dc
How much weight have you lost in total since your revision? 

ginau
on 7/12/09 2:13 am - mesa, AZ
Carole

I am down 60 lbs since revision, I am only 52 away from my PCP's goal  and then another 20 from my personal goal of 180.  I just underwent  open hernia repair with Dr Schlesinger on Monday the 6th.  since he  fixed a hernia as a result of a hysterectomy - he also cleaned up scar tissue and who knows what else -  i'll find out this week when he takes out my drain and we talk.

I was off 6 weeks with revision. It took me a while to figure out the gas and  stool issue - the hard way. and yes I tolerated foods too well.  Be carefull .. I would suggest  you stick to what your Dr tells you to do .. and if they dont give much instructions - then an extended version of the 5 day pouch test works well !!   

But I will tell you ..  it's all worth it.  -- This time I go back to school in the morning.. going to be ruff!!!  But I am ready for this challenge.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active