Do I need a revision? Will Insurance Pay for it?

Moe Linda
on 7/9/09 7:59 am - Sullivan, MO
Here I am at 15 months out and I am hating my body as much as before surgery. No it isn't the extra skin I don't have any. I started out at 300 lbs. and got down to 220 lbs. Now I have somehow gained back another 20 lbs. What am I doing so wrong? My 3 year old eats more than I do and I am gaining like crazy. I lost half as much as I wanted to in the first place. I just needed to vent and I guess I am going back to square one. Start over with the eating and exercising. Has anone else had this problem? My husband who had surgery the same day lost 150 lbs and is still loosing and is doing fantastic and I am just the opposite. Before long it will be like I didn't have the surgery at all and all those people who told me not to do it because they knew someone who gained it all back and then some.... they would be right. Any advise besides stop feeling sorry for myself... I already know that.
Moe~Linda
JRinAZ
on 7/9/09 8:17 am - Layton, UT
On July 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM Pacific Time, Moe Linda wrote:
Here I am at 15 months out and I am hating my body as much as before surgery. No it isn't the extra skin I don't have any. I started out at 300 lbs. and got down to 220 lbs. Now I have somehow gained back another 20 lbs. What am I doing so wrong? My 3 year old eats more than I do and I am gaining like crazy. I lost half as much as I wanted to in the first place. I just needed to vent and I guess I am going back to square one. Start over with the eating and exercising. Has anone else had this problem? My husband who had surgery the same day lost 150 lbs and is still loosing and is doing fantastic and I am just the opposite. Before long it will be like I didn't have the surgery at all and all those people who told me not to do it because they knew someone who gained it all back and then some.... they would be right. Any advise besides stop feeling sorry for myself... I already know that.
Hey Moe Linda,
Metabollic issues are often the culprit with some of us who have gotten our bodies used to small amounts of intake.  Men almost always lose better/faster and so their true test is usually delayed.

Get a couple of good opinions from good Revision surgeons and then go for it!  You have an itty bitty person (your 3 year old) that you'll want to be active with and weight can keep us from participating in all kinds of wife, mom and personal activities!

With an Rny, your choices are to have your pouch taken down and then  a DS done (riskiest revision per DS surgeon's literature for Rny's), have your common channel shortened to increase your malabsorption (Extended Rny: which is what i elected to have), or have your Rny banded (limited positive results).

There are studies that suggest that those who were insulin dependent prior to WLS will lose less and lose slower.  Age and gender make a difference as does your surgeon's "expertise".  Give yourself a break and consider the surgery a failure and not yourself!  Tell the jury to hold off on their judgement until you can find out what the "mechanical failure" was!

RESEARCH and then grab your 2nd chance!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

daisymom
on 7/10/09 8:32 am - Belmont, NC
Joyce,
I hope you don't mind me asking this question. I'm in the process of seeking a revision, and I know the surgeon I'm going to does the ERNY. Did your insurance pay for it? I was dead set on the DS, but now for some reason, I'm having second thoughts. Do you like your ERNY? How overweight were you when you had your ERNY? I had gastric bypass in 2003 and lost 140 lbs, but I have gained all that back; this is why I'm doing the revision. Will the ERNY work for someone who is still considered super morbid obese? I weigh 355 lbs.
Thanks
JRinAZ
on 7/10/09 2:39 pm - Layton, UT
On July 10, 2009 at 3:32 PM Pacific Time, daisymom wrote:
Joyce,
I hope you don't mind me asking this question. I'm in the process of seeking a revision, and I know the surgeon I'm going to does the ERNY. Did your insurance pay for it? I was dead set on the DS, but now for some reason, I'm having second thoughts. Do you like your ERNY? How overweight were you when you had your ERNY? I had gastric bypass in 2003 and lost 140 lbs, but I have gained all that back; this is why I'm doing the revision. Will the ERNY work for someone who is still considered super morbid obese? I weigh 355 lbs.
Thanks
Wow!  I answered your post hours ago but it's no here?  Weird!  Maybe I filled my quota of jabbering on O.H., ya think?  LOL!

So, I won't write another book (darn, it was a good one too :)

Short version:

Insurance covered my ERny cuz of medical necessity.
Yours could cover as well if you meet the same criteria as needed for an orginal surgery OR if revising is deemed medically necessary.
2nd thoughs about a DS?  How bout voicing them so the DS'ers can talk you through it?  With your history and BMI.....the DS would probably be a GREAT choice for you....UNLESS:  1.  Your insurance wouldn't cover it 2.  Your medical issues deem it too risky  or 3.  you are just having 2nd thoughts :)

I LOvE my ERny!  I was 50 overweight at the time of my revision and lost 70 to put me below goal weight.  There are oodles of ERny's at the support group meetings that have lost well over 200 lbs.  They attend the same group as the DS'ers and seem to have a similar losing pattern.  Since they have similar common channel lengths; it would seem possible that they would also have similar maintenance results?

Shoot!  I wrote a another book!  LOL!  Oh well.......shoot me a note if I can  you out in anyway!

Good luck and keep us posted
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

daisymom
on 7/10/09 6:54 pm - Belmont, NC
Thanks Joyce. I feel better now! I love reading your posts!
Most Active