Revision on 7/28/09 need buddies on what to expect

JRinAZ
on 7/23/09 2:11 am - Layton, UT
On July 22, 2009 at 11:56 PM Pacific Time, wrkplaydream wrote:

I hope you kep us posted, I am seeking feedback from those that have had a revision such as yours.  I also had a RNY but 7 years ago and lost 115 lbs and in the last year have gained about 40 lbs and am seeking results from having the revision.  I have spoke to 2 surgeons, my old surgeon and one in Mexico and both would make my stoma smaller and my pouch smaller.  I am worried about how much weight will I really lose, since I did not lose as much as I wanted the first time, and will I have the same feeling as when I had my first RNY- I was not hungry at all, I so want that feeling of not being hungry again- does this really happen with the revision.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You :)
Keep up the good work on your revision.

With all due respect to your surgeons; I would highly recommend checking into more malabsorption rather than messing around with a little restriction tweaking.

check out a revision from your Proximal Rny to a Deudenal Switch (dsfacts.com) OR to what I have, which is:

Extended Rny (sometimes knowns as ERny or Distal).  I had 40 pounds of regain as well and the ERny took that off quickly and went an additonal 20 below my goal.  I've balanced out now at a 19 BMI and love it.  I did get up to a 21 BMI and felt good but my new clothes were tight so I just did a couple of weeks of basic "back on track" stuff and it came right off. 

The DS is usually the preferred surgery but the ERny has the same effective malabsorption and is much less risky as a revision surgery.

Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

wrkplaydream
on 7/23/09 11:13 am
Thank you for the info :)  what actually is an extended RNY? what does the surgeon do?
Thnx
JRinAZ
on 7/24/09 6:31 am - Layton, UT
On July 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM Pacific Time, wrkplaydream wrote:
Thank you for the info :)  what actually is an extended RNY? what does the surgeon do?
Thnx
Hi there!
An Extended Rny (ERny) =

~~  "a highly malabsorptive Rny (ERny). This procedure moves the Y downstream. It is the LEAST risky of all the revisions to a highly malabsorptive procedure as neither the pouch nor the stoma is touched. You gain the vast majority of the advantages of revision to a DS with only a small fraction of the risks.
Intermediate in risk between revising a "classic Rny" into a DS and revising a "classic Rny" into a highly malabsorptive Rny is revising a "classic Rny into a BPD. In this revision, in addition to moving the Y down stream, the excluded stomach (distal remnant) is removed. The theoretical advantage of this revision is a greater reduction in grehlin. There are no studies that document that the reduction in grehlin is greater when part of the stomach is removed. There is no information as to how long the reduction in grehlin lasts after any WLS.
Varying the length of the common conduit (bowel with both food and digestive juices) between 50 cm (most malabsorptive) and 100 cm (most conservative) will determine just how malabsorptive the procedure is.This is a decision to be made with your revision surgeon. Not every patient needs the most aggressive operation. This is yet another instance where experience counts.
Each of these revisions to highly malabsorptive procedures can be combined with a procedure that increases the restrictive component of the previous operation. It has been my experience that it is rarely necessary to revise both the restrictive and the malabsorptive components simultaneously. " ~~

Good luck!!!  Hope this helps!   

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

punkie112003
on 7/29/09 8:33 am - West Monroe, LA
I had the ROSE done because my pouch was double in size and stoma was triple in size. Everything went right through. I am down 5-6 pounds with surgery being 1 week ago tomorrow. The procedure was a breeze. Had it done at 330pm went home around 530pm same day. Last day of liquid diet is today (Yeah!) The only pain or discomfort i felt was a sore throat. I will keep you posted.
NIKKO69
on 7/29/09 10:45 am - Atlanta, GA
Does anybody know of Surgeons in Atlanta, or near Atlanta that do the Revision surgery?  I know of Dr. Champion, however, my insurance does not cover him. 
Most Active