Revision on 7/28/09 need buddies on what to expect

jenny1953
on 7/9/09 7:55 am - LONGBEACH, MS
Would like to know what to expect on how fast before I will feel better after you have a revision. Hope to get meds down my diet on track with liquids and proteins. RNY 2001 Thanks, Jenny
mew6495
on 7/9/09 10:31 pm - MI
On July 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM Pacific Time, JENNY M. wrote:
Would like to know what to expect on how fast before I will feel better after you have a revision. Hope to get meds down my diet on track with liquids and proteins. RNY 2001 Thanks, Jenny
 Hi Jenny,

What kind of revision are you having?  RNY to DS...to band...to ERNY?  Is your surgeon performing it Lap or Open?

Recovery time varies from person to person but it can also be affected by the type of revision you have.  Without knowing that it is difficult to provide feed back.    Perhaps more will chime in with their experience bit a bit more detail.

Good luck to you.

jenny1953
on 7/10/09 10:49 am - LONGBEACH, MS
I'm going for my pre-op on 21 July will find out what type I'm having. will let you know. thanks...
Jendeclan
on 7/11/09 2:34 pm - Chesterfield, VA
I just had revision - band over RNY on 7/6/09.  I had my original surgery in December 2003.  I am now post op 6 days and only have about 2cc's in my band so I don't feel much restriction yet.  The recovery this time is a bit longer.  I am very sore and am still taking pain meds 6 days later.  Both my procedures were LAP.  Rose and Stomaphyx are fairly new so there is not too much information on the results.  My doc thought the band would be my best option because I can control how much of a fill I get for the rest of my life.
jenny1953
on 7/12/09 2:40 am - LONGBEACH, MS
When I went to the consult we talked about making my pouch smaller again, its like doing the RNY all over again. He stated he was going to redo everything smaller , because my scope showed that I had a very large pouch and the connection was still large. So I hear the second time around is some what difficult , It will be micro scoptic  as the first one. Well I'm sure your glad to start over. I'm excited to have my revision . Keep in touch and you''ll do great. jenny
Jendeclan
on 7/12/09 2:51 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Hi Jenny -
Are you having the ROSE procedure or Stomaphyx? I have not heard of an RNY revision but that is just me.  Starting to feel better day by day but the area where I have my port is still very swollen and I still have steri strips over the incisions.  I got on the scale this morning and I am down almost 5 lbs in one week - not too bad - 45 more to go and maybe a few more for padding...  Best of luck with your revision - let me know how it goes.  There was nothing more discouraging to loose so much weight to just end up gaining it back again - will not make that mistake again.
Monique H.
on 7/13/09 1:35 am, edited 7/13/09 1:35 am
My surgeon did a revision to my pouch (made it smaller the same way he made the pouch the first time) He also bypassed more intestine making me a distal rny. Weight loss is slow, but I am losing.

ETA: I was litterally in pain and had nausea up until the weekend before I went back to work which was 5 weeks. Recovery was pretty bad for me, but I had so much scar tissue and adhesions that I was in surgery for over 8 hours. I was also in the hospital for 11 days. I think this was because of how many abdominal surgeries I've had in the past.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
jenny1953
on 7/13/09 11:54 am - LONGBEACH, MS
Hi Monique, glad you re  here for us all . I like it when I can relate to others. That sounds like what the Dr. said he was going to do to me.. but I was too excited to get all the details. Boy I'm glad you rebetter. I already had all the bad stuff happen to me so this time it should be better. Had the leak and was in hospital for three different surgery's with in three weeks apart , I hope this one will be smooth sailing. So are you eating ok now and getting in all your protein?   Thanks,,, Jenny  
Monique H.
on 7/14/09 1:00 am
Yes I am eating ok and getting all my protein in. I shoot for 100 grams a day. Lately within the past month I've been slacking on the exercise so I really have to kick that back up. I really do hope everything goes smoothly for you. My first surgery I was in and out of the hospital a few times due to nausea and dry heaving. This time I didn't have to go back which was a blessing. Make sure you keep us all posted.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Jendeclan
on 7/13/09 12:02 pm - Chesterfield, VA
WOW  - sounds like you had a tough time.  My surgeon did not give me the distal RNY option.  I think the band will work well for me because I can control how tight it is, therefore preventing me from eating too much.  The hard part will not be going back to bad habits like drinking with meals and eating sweets.
Most Active