RNY revision success stories wanted

bluebonnet
on 7/8/09 4:49 am - Highland Village, TX
Hello,

I had RNY revision surgery on 6/5.  It was the only option I had due to insurance.  My problem was a diverticulum and a stretched stoma.  All has been repaired.

I've lost 22 pounds and the weight loss has been stuck for a week or two. 

After reading about revisions....some of the statistics don't look good.  The DS is the way to go but if your insurance doesn't cover it sometimes you do what you gotta do.

Anyway, has anybody been revised and still lost what they needed to lose?  I'm feeling a little discouraged and would like to hear your story.

J
Monique H.
on 7/9/09 6:52 am
I'm still in the process of trying to get my weight off. I've had month long stalls and am losing very slowly, but I am losing. I lost 22 pounds in the first few weeks after surgery and then stalled for weeks then started dropping 1 or 2 every now and then. Just stay focused. Eat how you are supposed to eat and exercise. I feel like we can do it even if we weren't able to have the ds. There was also a lady on another board I think her name was debbiejean or something like that and she was able to make it to goal but it did take a long time. Remember stay focused and don't get discouraged. I've lost 48 pounds since surgery and I'll be 6 months out on the 13th. That averages out to 8 pounds a month and you know what? I'll take it! Good luck to you.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
mew6495
on 7/9/09 10:58 pm, edited 7/9/09 11:01 pm - MI
  Hang in there.  Stalls are normal for any wls surgery.  I had revision surgery to my 2001 RNY last october and I have had several stalls over the course of this time period.  One of them lasted about a month.  

On a whole I think you do loose slower the 2nd time around and of course there are exceptions to this rule.  The important thing is to continue towards health and feeling better.  We all want the weight to drop off as quickly as the first time around and sometimes that is just not the case.  For me I didn't mind loosing a bit slower.  It gave me time to learn my new tool and to adjust my eating habits to help me not end up in the same place again.  

I agree with Monique....while the DS is an excellent surgery, you can be successful with the other types as well.  I had ERNY, I am at goal, have had no real complications and I am very satisfied with my choice.

Good Luck. 

shele
on 7/9/09 11:45 pm

Hey,

I had the erny also and am loosing very slow, Just had a month long stall where i lost and gained the same 3-5 pounds.  I have really started watching my carbs, as I wasn't really counting the complex carbs at all. For me I am one that must have to keep them low to loose, I have dropped this week and don't seem to be going up and down nearly as much. 

I agree with what the others have said, do what you are supposed to and I believe this will work for us all!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

bluebonnet
on 7/10/09 12:14 am - Highland Village, TX
Thanks for all of the encouraging replies.  You are all right...if we do what we are supposed to do it will eventually come off.  There really is no other option, is there?  Have a great day!

J
JRinAZ
on 7/10/09 2:31 am - Layton, UT
Hey J,
I lost big right out of the starting gate from my revision and then took 6 months to drop another 15 pounds!  .....  I thought I was done, was at my goal weight and then all of a sudden I took a rapid 20 pound loss in like 3 weeks! 

What kind of dietary program did your surgeon outline for you?  Are you supposed to go low carb or no carb?  Or, just eat whatever?  How many protein drinks do you try and get in each day?  Protein grams?

My basics:  Low carb (which for me now means under 100 carbs per day but during the losing phase I tried to stay under 40 carbs per day).
High Protein:  keep the mantra:  3 bites lean protein to 1 bite low glycemic veggie/fruit with the goal numbers of over 200 proteins per day and at least 100 of those proteins shoudl be from my protein drinks.

What vites are you on?  Taking the right supplements and keeping energy high revs up our metabolism and helps keep our losing on track.

A general rule for plateaus busting is:
DECREASE:  calories, carbs, salt, cheese
INCREASE:  protein, water, walking, fiber

With high malabsorption though (are you an ERny?) then you can put the cheese to the Increase category as well as add some healthy fats i.e. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, real butter, avocado, salmon, tuna in oil, etc.  (We malabsorb protein and fat so it makes sense to focus on those foods when trying to lose!  We do absorb carbs (especially complex like the flours, sugars, rice, pastas, etc) and so it also makes sense to avoid those while trying to lose.

I'm in the maintenance and so ma juggling my carb/calorie ratio to see what keeps me in check.  I seem to gain when I've cut back on protein.  So for me personally ....  My simple plan is:

the more protein I have, the more weight I lose!

Hang in there!  Let us know how we can help.

Ask questions! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

bluebonnet
on 7/10/09 3:49 am - Highland Village, TX
I think I am a regular RNY, not an extended.

I had a diverticulum (very large) which grew off of one side of the stomach pouch.  I could eat regular amounts of food (no restriction).  I probably got the diverticulum within the first two months post op...and it continued to expand over time.  I never had restriction/vomiting or any issue with food from the get go.

The surgeon removed the diverticulum and made the stoma smaller.  He has put me on a full liquid diet for 6 months.  He wants to make sure I heal properly.

Here is what I eat...or should I say drink:

2 EAS shakes a day
1 Unjury chicken soup protein drink
1 vanilla protein drink
Regular soup for dinner
Sugar free popsicle for snack.

There is not a whole lot of  variety on this form of diet.

I've been logging everything in on fitday.  I get btwn 74-93 grams of protein daily; almost no fat or sugar.  All of the regular soups seems to have carbs, so I usually end up about 90 grams of carbs a day.  My calorie level is consistantly around 800 calories (give or take 50 cal either direction depending on the soup that night).

I'm thinking that sooner or later, I've got to lose.  My body was used to probably 3 times the calories that I'm currently eating.  I just get worried that the surgery (or my body) won't work like it is supposed to.

Here's my vitamin regime:

2 one a day gummies
4 gummy fibers
B12 injection monthly
Nature's plus chewable iron (in am)
4 Bariatric chewable calcium citrates (starting in the afternoon)

I have to crush or chew my meds for 6 months.  I've had a hard time finding the ones I  like.

Do you think I need to change what I'm doing?  Can you think of a way to lower my carbs given what I'm supposed to eat?  The soups I use can't have chunks...so I mostly have V8 vegetable soups.

On water:

I have two route 44 sized (64 ounces****d teas a day...when those are finished...I get in 64 ounces fo crystal light ( I use the same cup to avoid doing dishes).

On exercise:

I walk for 30 min 3 times a week...and swim (slowly) for 30 minutes twice a week.

I get frustrated when I think I'm doing everything right...and then I don't lose.  AFter reading, it is typical to plateau.

Thanks for responding to my email, and any advice is welcomed!

Jennifer
JRinAZ
on 7/10/09 8:43 am - Layton, UT
Wow!  SIX months?  ....Your plan is not for the faint of heart but I'd say you definitely should get some great weight loss from it!

The only thing i'd suggest tweaking is perhaps raising the protein up to at least double the carbs.  (visit with your surgeon about it all first, though)

The Nectar protein powders have the lowest carb count I have found (lowest calorie per serving aswell) and GREAT protein count.  One that tastes similar to Sunny D orange drink is called Fuzzy Navel.  I'ts just 90 calories for about 30 grams of protein and i think it's either 0 carbs or just 1 or 2?  Syntrax makes hte Nectars.  You can get all kindso f samples on www.vitalady.com so you can find something little before investing in the bigt tubs.

Also, try adding a flavorless scoop of protein powder to your evening soup.  You can bust the protein grams by 17 plus grams without changing the flavor.  Unjury has a flavorless.  I like the Any Whey flavorless (I think High health has it but check on vitalady's site too)

I wonder if you can change up a few things like the yogurt drinks with boosted protein?

How about adding 2 or 3 more protein drinks in the day?  The calories will still be under 1200 for you and the protein will double.  ....the higher the protein the more you'll lose.

Rough way to get going!  Do you feel any satiety at all or does it all just slip right through?

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

bluebonnet
on 7/10/09 10:47 am - Highland Village, TX
You have some ideas that I'm going to try. I'm  ready to go online and do another big order.  I will definitely buy the unjury tasteless and put it in everything I can.  I'll try the nectar orange from vitalady.  I'll try anything...and the samples are a good idea.  I bought the strawberry sorbet(sample) from unjury and it was so gross I'll never drink it!  I would have hated to invested in the whole tub.  My surgeon didn't say anything about calories so I don't see any problem with trying the extra protein drinks.  I like your idea of double the protein over carbs...ie 50 carbs should go with 100 protein. 

How do I feel??  Well if I'm honest...not as well as I did before the surgery.  I don't have the energy I'm used to and I think its because of lack of food.

I'm not hungry, but I am never full...if that makes any sense.  I don't feel restriction of any kind...which has me worried.  I haven't tried gulping down water or anything like that...but I'm paranoid that things won't work again.  I bet I won't know about the restriction until I eat solids.  I think 6 months is extreme but my surgeon wants me to do it so I'll do my best.  The problem I had is pretty rare (according to him).

I did read your profile and you definitely had to find your way dealing with your own body's reaction to your surgery.  You have 'lived it' and I appreciate the advise.  Sometimes life follows the 'textbook' but not always.  :)

Thanks so much,

Jennifer
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/09 8:28 am - San Diego, CA
Joyce:  You are so helpful...I just LOVE reading your posts!

Jennifer:  Good luck my friend.  I am sorry to hear of your frustration and have definitely been there.  It is interesting to me that you still have no restriction?  Did your surgeon say that is to be expected at first?  Take care and again....best of luck to you!!
Most Active