Revision from VBG w/sleeve to Lap Band

Patricia P.
on 7/7/09 5:55 am
Hello.  I posted a few weeks ago and wanted to give an update.  I had the VBG w/sleeve in November 2002 and after going through 2 preganancies, I have stretched my pouch.  I met with my surgeon last week and told him that I wanted my restriction back.  I briefly considered the DS, but my hubby has the DS and I know what a struggle it is to get him to take his vitamins faithfully.  I have a hard enough time taking my vitamins in the morning, I know I wouldn't be compliant with taking them throughout the day.  Anyway, we agreed that my surgeon will remove my mesh band and replace it with the Lap Band.  Anyone else have a sleeve with a lap band or had a revision to this?  Just wondering what your weight loss journey has been after doing this.

Thanks much,

Patricia 
Britt U.
on 7/7/09 1:18 pm - Mill Creek, WA

Is it possible to do just the sleeve gastrectomy portion of the DS? I have a lap band which was successful for the first two years and am planning to remove it and revise to a VSG. Already having had a VBG maybe life with a stoma is something you're used to? Even during the time I was losing weight I found the lap band and its complications to be really unpleasant. I want restriction but I don't want a stoma.

Britt

Patricia P.
on 7/13/09 1:20 am
HI Britt,

I actually already have the sleeve gastrectomy along with a mesh band.  I did really well--I went from 300 pounds to 170 pounds.  After 2 pregnancies, my pouch has stretched and I can eat as much as someone who just had the sleeve portion.  I just really want that restriction again.  Personally, if I had to do it all over again, I would still have the sleeve but have the lap band from the beginning.  My opening has stretched and the only way to have the restriction again, is to have the lap band. 

Patricia
mrsannie
on 7/8/09 2:37 am
Hi, I have never had VGB, but I do have a Lap Band, and I hate it!!!!  I vomit all the time and I am very limited in what I can eat.  My doctor said I would be restricted and not be able to eat bread or pasta.  OK  thought small price to pay, but instead almost anything I eat, I vomit and am still hungry.  I have no problem eating chips, cookies etc., but all the good stuff gets stuck.  Forget about protein, I can't eat fiber!  No fruit, no veggies and I have trouble with almost all meats.  The only way I can eat chicken is when its in chicken salad or with some kind of sauce to help it pass down.  When we go out to eat, I look at the menu and say "what can I eat?" instead of "what do I want."   If I drink too soon, it really hurts and you got it, I vomit again.  I wish I never did this.  I can eat all the crap I want if I eat slow, as I result I have lost less than 20lbs and have had this thing 1 1/2 years.  Granted I have not really followed the rules, but when you have trouble eating almost everything you eat what ever is around and you know will go down.

Please research this before you do it.  It works for some, but not us all! I am so unhappy with it, that I am in the process of getting a revision to DS.  I'd rather take my vitamins that live like this for the rest of my life!

Good Luck!
Ann

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
(deactivated member)
on 7/11/09 8:18 am
Wow, if I was in your situation I would be running to the doctor's to get a defill.  
Patricia P.
on 7/13/09 1:28 am
Ann,

I'm sorry you have had issues with your lap band.  I have been a part of the WLS groups for 7 years now.  When I had my VBG with Sleeve Gastroectomy, I was very careful in following the rules of the pouch.  Yes, you have to drink before you eat.  I found that I had to wait an hour to drink after I ate.  In the beginning, it would take me an hour to eat one scrambled egg--maybe because I was afraid of getting sick that I ate SO slowly.  I learned to eat very slow and extremely small bites.  I always eyed my pieces of meat to the size of pencil eraser.  I too found that if I ate meat that was dry, I'd get sick.  I would have to have very moist chicken--sometimes mixed with a light gravy or mayo.  I know from experience that the alot of the "C" foods were bad--cookies, chips, candy, crackers, etc.  They go down so much easier than the good food.  I think someone already mentioned, but have you though of having some of your fill let out?  Maybe that will help?  Good luck. 

Patricia
(deactivated member)
on 7/11/09 8:16 am
I first had a VBG back in /87 and went from 260 lbs. down to 113 lbs.   Due to the way VBG's used to be done, my staples started to separate after the first 3 years but I still managed to keep the weight off most of the time by dieting.    Finally by /06 I was back up to 256 lbs. and decided to have a revision to the lap-band.    For me it was a great decision and even without malabsorption I was able to reach my goal weight of 124 lbs. in twenty months.   I could of lost faster I'm sure if I had exercised too but I was lazy.  

I am  now in my fourth year as a bandster and still loving my band.    I eat most everything and don't feel deprived.   A small serving fills me up making it easier to eat till I am satisfied instead of stuffed like the old days.    For myself personally I was concerned about the possibility of deficiencies if I had gone with the RNY or DS.    The last several months I have gotten ****ier and had put on a bit of weight going up to 134 lbs.    Now I weigh 128 lbs.  and plan on getting back down to 117.6 lbs. which I feel best at.   Head hunger is something we all have to deal with at times and there is no miracle cure with any weight loss surgery.

Basically by the time I had my revision I was unable to stick to a diet for more than half a day.   I still don't consider myself as dieting but I do try to keep track in my head of how many calories I eat in a day.  To me that's a small price to pay for not having to worry about getting in lots of protein and necessity of taking lots of supplements.

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/09 8:32 am - San Diego, CA
Nice to hear of your success, Shameless!  I am a recent band-over-bypass gal.  I hope to get to my goal and maintain like you!!
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/09 9:11 am
Hi Lisa,

Congrats on becoming a bandster, follow the band rules and make sure you keep up with your aftercare and you should do well.
Patricia P.
on 7/13/09 1:34 am
Hi Donna,

Thanks for responding to my post.  Its very nice to hear that you have had such a good experience with your revision to the Lap Band. 

Patricia
Most Active