Revision of RNY 2 weeks away

Christine B.
on 7/6/09 12:22 pm - Stratford, CT
Hey all,
I haven't posted anything in a very long time. I had RNY almost 5 years ago. I started off at 422 went down to 170. I then got pregnant with twins- gave birth and now holding 220. I got approved for a revision plus I need to have 2 hernia repairs. I am excited but yet very scared of having this revision. I need it and want it but I had so mnay issues the last time around. This time I have twin 20 month oldbabies I need to take care of. My husband is supportive but I am scared of the post-op time. Any ideas on how long the recouperating time is from an RNY revision? I was told at least 3 days in the hospital....any words of encouragement are appreciated.
Thank you!

Christine

"You won't realize the distance you've walked until you take a look around and realize how far you've been"

coachmnowak
on 7/6/09 1:12 pm
I just posted something similiar a couple days ago.  I am having my an open RNY revision August 6.  From everything people have told me and what my doctor has said- 4-6 weeks recovery before i return to work.  I remember from my first RNY i was hurting pretty good for at least 3-4 weeks- i seem to remember not being able to really enjoy the activities during the 4th of July that year and sitting in a steel chair watching the fireworks and thinking about how much pain i was still in.

We have many similarities...  Both having revision from an original RNY; i am also having 2 hernia's repaired; i have gone from having 2 kids during my first surgery to 5 this time; finally i am also a TWIN! 

Best of luck with your surgery... and best of everything with those little Twinnies!

M
A journey toward something is also a journey away from something.
Whatever we give our mental attention to in our lives will increase in our lives.
If you want to sleep later go to bed earlier.

mew6495
on 7/6/09 9:12 pm - MI
On July 6, 2009 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, Christine B. wrote:
Hey all,
I haven't posted anything in a very long time. I had RNY almost 5 years ago. I started off at 422 went down to 170. I then got pregnant with twins- gave birth and now holding 220. I got approved for a revision plus I need to have 2 hernia repairs. I am excited but yet very scared of having this revision. I need it and want it but I had so mnay issues the last time around. This time I have twin 20 month oldbabies I need to take care of. My husband is supportive but I am scared of the post-op time. Any ideas on how long the recouperating time is from an RNY revision? I was told at least 3 days in the hospital....any words of encouragement are appreciated.
Thank you!
 Hello Christine,

I had a revision from a 2001 RNY Proxiimal to an ERNY in October 2009.  My procedure was performed open.  My common channel was shortened, 2 hernias were repaired, 2 bowel obstructions were fixed and tons of scar tissue was removed.

I was in the hospital one night and released the next afternoon.  Overall my recovery went well.  The trick for me was to keep up on my pain meds and not let them lapse the first few weeks out.  Seems if you let them get low in your system it is twice as hard to get it back to that comfort level again.  I was back to work in 4 weeks.  Remember to take care of yourself and allow yourself enough rest and it will go easier for you.  May be a challenge with babies at home.

Good luck and congratulations on your revision!  I hope all goes well.

Christine B.
on 7/7/09 12:37 pm - Stratford, CT
Thank you both for the feedback. I had my pre-op today. The surgery sounds a bit scary- 2 hernia repairs along with a revision. I was told I'd be in the hospital 2-3 days. I have a wonderful surgeon and feel very blessed to have him in my life. He's going to try to do it lap. but if need be he may need to do an open revision. I am looking forward to not living in so much discomfort!!
Most Active