Wanting a revision rny to rny

lorettasings
on 7/6/09 11:56 pm - Todd, NC

I am 8 years out and never did get to my goal weight.  Actually I didn't get anywhere near my goal weight.  I never really felt my stomach was that small.  I talked to my doc last week and he said the procedure he did was an old procedure with a different type of staple and he thinks a revision would help.  I am told by his nurse that I have to go through a 6 month doctor supervised diet, a psyc evaluation and other red tape to have the revision.  Is this the case with all docs?

mew6495
on 7/7/09 1:27 am - MI
On July 7, 2009 at 6:56 AM Pacific Time, Loretta W. wrote:

I am 8 years out and never did get to my goal weight.  Actually I didn't get anywhere near my goal weight.  I never really felt my stomach was that small.  I talked to my doc last week and he said the procedure he did was an old procedure with a different type of staple and he thinks a revision would help.  I am told by his nurse that I have to go through a 6 month doctor supervised diet, a psyc evaluation and other red tape to have the revision.  Is this the case with all docs?

If you are planning on submitting through insurance this may not necessarily be a requirement of your doctor's office but of your insurance company.  When I had my revision I had to meet my insurance companies requirements.  However, they did not require that I jump through these hoops.  But in order for my insurance to cover, my revision had to be medically necessary.  If you will be a self pay then it would more then likely be up to the surgeon's office.

I would suggest calling your insurance company or visiting their web site and find out what their requirements are for a revision and what types of wls revisions they allow.  Make sure you make it VERY CLEAR that it is for a revision and not a first time procedure.

Have you considered all your revision options such as the DS, ERNY etc?  There are many options and if the RNY was not suitable for you on your first time around then perhaps to prevent yet another possible revision in the future you may want to consider all your options.  The DS has pretty good statistics long term to date but it is also one of the most risky revisions when you are going from a RNY to a DS.  There is tons of info out their on all procedures.

Good Luck to you.  Please keep us posted.

JRinAZ
on 7/7/09 1:42 am - Layton, UT
On July 7, 2009 at 6:56 AM Pacific Time, Loretta W. wrote:

Hi Loretta,
6 months of medically supervised diet is very common and is most likely a qualifying requirement for your insurance coverage.  But....many Bariatric programs are jumping on board with this concept in hopes that the cream will "rise to the top"....and that if you can be compliant 6 months prior to your surgery then your chances of compliancy and success following your surgery will be increased.

If you have other surgeon's available in the area, it would be a good idea to get more than one opinion when decicing on a revision.

also...don't just take a surgeon's recommendation....research for yourself.  Maybe a different surgery type would help you reach your goals this time?  Try the DS forum for some info as well.

Good luck!  LOSER'S ROCK!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/7/09 4:19 am
I read a post from Dr Husted on here, that said when the only tool you've got is a hammer, all problems look like nails. You have an RNY surgeon, and to be honest, if you keep going to that surgeon, he is only going to "sell" you whatever he performs. You should find some surgeons that perform all of the surgeries so you can get some unbiased advice.

Surgery is a big deal, and you don't want to go through it more than necessary, and you deserve to get the best procedure for you the first time (or the second, in your case).

The diet and psyc eval are pretty standard, regardless of surgeon or surgery.

Kerry J.
on 7/7/09 9:22 am - Santa Clara, UT
Let see now, your RNY isn't working for you.......so you want to get another RNY?????

Find another surgeon Loretta, one that can do more than RNY, find one that can do a revision to DS and see what he says. You can find a qualified surgeon here:

http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeo ns.html

Just click on the state closest to where you are.

Kerry
Most Active