What Kind of Weight Loss to Expect

Denise V.
on 7/6/09 3:58 am
Hello!

I will be going in to have my mini gastric bypass revised to an RNY (long story short, thought that is what I had done in 2004, come to find out they did a mini instead, and never thought to tell me???)  I am wondering how much weight I should expect to lose.  I have a bit that I would LOVE to get off, but I am not starting out all that heavy, but heavy enough!!!!

Any input would be appreciated, I plan to ask my Dr next time I see him, but was looking for first hand experience....

Thanks so much!
Denise
~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
msagardner
on 7/6/09 4:21 am - terre haute, IN
Good luck on your RNY.  I just had mine on 07/11/2009 and have lost 27 pounds since that time.  I have days where I am discouraged, thinking I should lose more, but as someone very dear to me reminds me I did not put it on overnight, so it won't come off overnight.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Andi
Denise V.
on 7/6/09 4:44 am
Andi~

27lbs in less then a month (I am assuming you meant June 11, not July) is amazing!  You should be very proud!  Did you have a revision, or was this your first procedure?

I am hoping I can lose 50 or so lbs (obviously not in a month, but total), that would be great for me!

Good luck, and keep up the good work!  Most importantly, be proud of yourself!
~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
msagardner
on 7/6/09 9:48 pm - terre haute, IN
This was my first procedure, and most days I am proud of myself.  Good luck on your surgery.  Mine went very smooth and I was back to work half days in a week.  I am sure you will do great.  I will look for updates.  Andi
Lori G.
on 7/6/09 7:55 pm - CA
Aloha Denise- I was a virgin VSG so I did not have the presumed slower losses of a revision, but I was a yo yo dieter for decades, and am hypothyroid to boot. I attended an excellent  nutrition class last month at our health club that discussed "Functional Foods for Weight Loss". She talked about hormonal influences on weight loss, best choice foods for preventing stalls, etc. I was so impressed by t he talk that I asked the nutritionist for her Power Point presentation and she kindly sent it to me. I've had alot of nutrition classes for my career and have an excellent grasp of hormonal infulence on fat storage, etc but I did find this talk very helpful. If you PM me your personal email address, I'd be happy to send the Power Point to you. Best advice was ways to rev up your metabolism- there are things you cannot change about your metabolic rate- age, gender, heredity. And things you can- body composition ( more muscle mass means more burning of calories at rest), drinking water ( yep, simply increasing water consumption increases your metabilic rate), small meals frequently, activity level ( cardio AND strength training essential for any woman over 40), types and combinations of food at meals ( never eat simple carbs alone, always with protein or fat, eg...choose "whole" foods rather than highly processed foods that are lacking in certain nutrients, our bodies tend to eat more of the nutrient-poor refined foods to get the same stuff found in a smaller quantitiy of nutrient-dense foods, etc)...you get the picture. It might help stack the odds in your favor and get you where you want to be goalwaise- good luck ! XO Lori

Most Active