ERNY QUESTION

Beautywithin
on 7/5/09 7:15 am - San Jose, CA
I wanted to know when someone gets an ERNY is the stomach made smaller.
I guess what I'm asking is; What exactly is an ERNY. I kind of have an idea, but not exactly sure of the process. I had RNY back in 2001 and looking into a revision. I have not made a decision yet. I find it hard to make a decision because I am scared because I currently have an iron deficiency. Would this get worse with ERNY?

mew6495
on 7/5/09 9:27 pm - MI
On July 5, 2009 at 2:15 PM Pacific Time, Beautywithin wrote:
I wanted to know when someone gets an ERNY is the stomach made smaller.
I guess what I'm asking is; What exactly is an ERNY. I kind of have an idea, but not exactly sure of the process. I had RNY back in 2001 and looking into a revision. I have not made a decision yet. I find it hard to make a decision because I am scared because I currently have an iron deficiency. Would this get worse with ERNY?

Hi Beautywithin,

An ERNY is where they take your malabsorption component and increase it so you malabsorb more.  Typically you are given a common channel of 75 to 125 cm in length.  Most proximal RNYs only bypass about up to 150 cm of intestine rather then creating the shorter common channel, so you can see there is a difference.

If you are having problems with iron deficiency now there is a good chance this could increase with an ERNY as there is quite a bit more bypassed on the average patient.  I would definitely discuss it with your doctor first and come up with a game plan if you choose to go with a procedure that increases your malabsorption.

From what I understand the pouch is typically left untouched with an ERNY revision but each cases is different and if your pouch needs tending to this would also be something to discuss with your surgeon.

Have you considered a revision to the DS?

Good luck with your decision.

Beautywithin
on 7/5/09 11:47 pm - San Jose, CA
Yes, I have considered a revision from RNY to DS. I thought the revision to DS would be worse than an RNY revision. Isn't the DS more malabsorption? It seems to be a more riskier doesn't it?

mew6495
on 7/6/09 12:13 am - MI
On July 6, 2009 at 6:47 AM Pacific Time, Beautywithin wrote:
Yes, I have considered a revision from RNY to DS. I thought the revision to DS would be worse than an RNY revision. Isn't the DS more malabsorption? It seems to be a more riskier doesn't it?

You are correct, there is more risk in revising from an RNY to a DS due to the take down of the pouch.  This is why it is EXTREMELY important to find a very experienced competent surgeon who has performed not only revisions but RNY to DS revisions and many of them.  There are only a handful who are qualified out there in my opinion.  

Actually, due to the risk factor was one of the reasons I strayed from the DS revision so I understand your concerns well.  

As far as the DS having more malabsorption is dependent on what length your surgeon makes your common channel.  I believe the typical CC channel length for a DSer is 100 cm but I am sure this varies from individual to individual and surgeon to surgeon.  My CC is 75 cm which would make it smaller (more malabsorption) then many of the DSers.   Your options are many and I commend you for doing the research up front to determine what is best for you and your life style.

Beautywithin
on 7/6/09 12:25 am - San Jose, CA
Thanks mew6495,

I tried to read your profile, was your stomached touched?
How much have you lost since your revision?
Any complications?

mew6495
on 7/6/09 1:21 am - MI
On July 6, 2009 at 7:25 AM Pacific Time, Beautywithin wrote:
Thanks mew6495,

I tried to read your profile, was your stomached touched?
How much have you lost since your revision?
Any complications?

My stomach was not touched.  I have lost 51 lbs since my revision in Oct. 2008 and I am 2 lbs from my personal goal.  No complications at all.    Dr. fixed a whole slew of issues for me during the operation.   If I eat to many carbs I will suffer gas episodes.  I have "softer" more frequent bms (about 2 a day) but for me this was a blessing as my doctor was thinking of performing surgery to correct a lack of bm issue prior to my ERNY.  Earlier out after surgery I suffered from more gas and it was quite "smelly".  I could clear a room in .5 sec flat!    Now it is not much of an issue.  Weight loss was slower this time around and learning my new tool was challenging.  But overall, I am pleased with my revision choice and would do it again.

I closed my profile to "friends only" because of some negativity that was floating around on this board where some would take your profile posts and miss-construe them on the open boards to their benefit.  

Most Active