Has anyone had a reversal of the rny

MerMer
on 7/5/09 11:03 am
I had lap rny on 6/18/09 and I am not doing well at all. I can barely drink anything and I feel horrible. Please help! Does anyone know if this can be reversed?
Beautywithin
on 7/5/09 12:08 pm - San Jose, CA
Hello MerMer,

I can only speak from my experience when I had my Lap RNY 8 years ago. I too had a hard time keeping anything down including fluids for the first 2 months. In fact, I had to stay an extra 2 days in the hospital because I was not eating or drinking what the doctors felt was an appropriate amount.

I noticed you just had this done about 2 weeks ago. I'm no expert, but unless your having excessive pain or vomiting, I was just try to be patient. I think your surgery is so new that what you are  explaining sounds normal like what I experienced.

Here I am 8 years out and looking in a revision because I've gained almost all of my weight back.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Kerry J.
on 7/5/09 9:25 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I know what you mean, I had RNY for 28 years, it helped me get the weight off, but then I had to work like crazy to keep it off. I managed to do that pretty well for about 15 years, but when I couldn't exercise every day the weight came back and I never could get it off again. You can read all about it on my profile if you want to.

I got a revision to DS last September and it saved my life, I'm so happy I found out about the DS and found a surgeon that could revise me. I'm loving life again thanks to the DS.

Kerry 
mew6495
on 7/5/09 8:42 pm, edited 7/5/09 9:29 pm - MI
On July 5, 2009 at 6:03 PM Pacific Time, MerMer wrote: I had lap rny on 6/18/09 and I am not doing well at all. I can barely drink anything and I feel horrible. Please help! Does anyone know if this can be reversed?  Hello Mer Mer,

I agree wit beautywithin...give it a bit more time.  Your body is adjusting to a major dissection and rerouting of your internal organs.   Your system might just need a bit more time to adjust to the new way of handling foods and a new way of eating.  I would also suggest discussing your concerns with your doctor if it will put your mind at ease.

I had open RNY in 2001 and I ate very little for the first 6 months.  As time goes on your pouch stretches and the amount of food you can tolerate increases.  Yours is not the first story I have heard on here asking about reversals after only a few weeks out.  From the ones who have come back and posted they seem to say that they are happy they did not follow through with the initial urge to carry through with a reversal.  You are going through a life changing operation and it can be scary at first not knowing what to expect, how your body will operate or how it will tolerate food in a different way then what you are accustomed to.  It will get better.  I would encourage you to think long and hard if this is what you really want.  Remember what brought you to a WLS to begin with.  

Good Luck to you.  I hope things start looking up. 

Most Active