RECOVERY FROM REVISION

coachmnowak
on 7/5/09 5:34 am
Can anyone tell me about recovery time from an open revision surgery from an RNY to a revised RNY?  After my first in 2002 i was in the hospital for 5 days.  As a teacher i had the summer off; i am having my revision 11 days before we are to return to work from Summer Vacation.  I know that will be too soon... but am still thinking will 4-6 weeks out be realistic.  I coached football in 2002 and was out at practice 8 or 9 weeks post op... 

I am 32 days away and they are going to go fast!  Just trying to plan ahead.
any experiences anyone wants to share would be fantastic.

M
A journey toward something is also a journey away from something.
Whatever we give our mental attention to in our lives will increase in our lives.
If you want to sleep later go to bed earlier.

bluebonnet
on 7/6/09 1:49 am - Highland Village, TX
Hello,

I had an RNY revision 6/5.  I stayed in the hospital 2 days.  The revision was lap...the original surgery was open.  It has been a month and I am still tired.  I taught 7th grade math for 15 years (currently nursing student).  If I were currently teaching, I could return to work at this point (1 month)...but I wouldn't have been "good" any earlier.  Pain isn't the problem...it is the post-surgery fatigue and food adjustments which make you feel so poorly.

So, I guess to answer your question, 4 to 6 weeks is a good idea.  Standing in the heat coaching football too early would be difficult, in my opinion.  It has been my experience that there is no mercy... from anybody... when/if the teacher screws up.  When you're exhausted, its easy to make a mistake.  You've got to be sure your "game is on."

Hope that helps,

Jennifer
Most Active