From RNY to?

BLEACHMAMA7
on 7/3/09 9:52 am - TRENTON, NJ
Hi all..I have a question.  Has anyone went from Gastric Bypass to something else?  I had the RNY about 6 years ago and lost about 120 punds but gained back about 30 and I am miserable.  I feel like I can eat anything but I know mostly gazing is one of my probems.  Help...has this happened to anyone?  Have you ever thought or gotten another procedure so you can get that tight feeling again to not be able to eat as much.  I am so scared that I will gain this weight back.  Thanks family.
lizp100
on 7/3/09 9:57 am
There is a revision for RNY'ers but few doctors will do it. You can be revised to a duodenal switch. There is actually an excellent Dr in the New Jersey area but I can't remember his name( maybe Greenbaum??!!). I had mine done in Kentucky with Dr Husted just 6 weeks ago. To be honest it is a lot harder to go through a second time. A revision surgery carries lots more risks and complications. Just be sure to research and go with what is right for you.

GOOD LUCK!
BLEACHMAMA7
on 7/3/09 10:06 am - TRENTON, NJ
thank you so much!  So what is your story?  Your bypass failed?
lizp100
on 7/3/09 10:22 am
Yes, I had a bypass in 2000. I lost 126lbs but still had 50 to go when my weightl oss stopped. 6 year later the weight started piling on and despite diet and exercise it stayed right there. I started seeking a revision in january of 2009. I had considered doing the ERNY here in Phoenix but research lead me to believe the most weight I would lose is about 50 lbs and I would have huge malabsobtion issues. Dr Husted was nice enough to email back and forth with me personally regarding my medical history and I decided the DS was the route to go. I guess I shouldn't say that the DS is the ONLY revision option but it does seem to show the best long term success. I won't say it has been an easy road but 6 weeks after surgery I am down 35 lbs and starting to feel pretty good. I will try to find the name of the doctor in NJ. It would be worth it to at least do a consult with him.
BLEACHMAMA7
on 7/3/09 1:43 pm - TRENTON, NJ
Oh your awesome...thank you so much!! I really appreciate it.  So I see that's what happened to you.  Wow...it's so discouraging when the weight starts to pick up again.  I am going to read more into this DS...it sounds pretty good so far.  How was the insurance approval process for your revision?  Do you notice a difference from RNY to DS? I would love to have the doctor's name in NJ.
Kathy H.
on 7/3/09 3:18 pm - Kent, WA
~smiling~

It's Dr Greenbaum ... David Greenbaum. GREAT guy ... takes the time to answer all your questions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

mew6495
on 7/6/09 9:39 pm - MI
On July 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM Pacific Time, lizp100 wrote:
Yes, I had a bypass in 2000. I lost 126lbs but still had 50 to go when my weightl oss stopped. 6 year later the weight started piling on and despite diet and exercise it stayed right there. I started seeking a revision in january of 2009. I had considered doing the ERNY here in Phoenix but research lead me to believe the most weight I would lose is about 50 lbs and I would have huge malabsobtion issues. Dr Husted was nice enough to email back and forth with me personally regarding my medical history and I decided the DS was the route to go. I guess I shouldn't say that the DS is the ONLY revision option but it does seem to show the best long term success. I won't say it has been an easy road but 6 weeks after surgery I am down 35 lbs and starting to feel pretty good. I will try to find the name of the doctor in NJ. It would be worth it to at least do a consult with him.
Hi lizp,

I have a question for you...  You mention huge malabsorption issues with ERNY....Since the the intestinal portion of the ERNY is very similar to the DS (shortened common channel)  would they not be the same issues you face with either?  I understand that the shorter length of the CC can cause more malabsorption but this length can very from patient to patient and surgeon to surgeon so I am sure there are many DSers with the same length CC as ERNYers.

Just curious as I like to keep up with all information I can find regarding the malabsorption procedures.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/7/09 4:44 am
I hope someone with better understanding of the rny types of surgery will chime in here, but my understanding is that with the DS, while you have some intestinal mal-absorption, you still have a fully functioning stomach, with the pyloric valve. The nutrients that get absorbed in the stomach, are actually absorbed with the DS, whereas that's not the case with the pouch of a RNY. I think that's why RNYers have more mal-absorption of (in general) things like iron and Bvitamins - because they absorb in the stomach.

The things DSers mal-absorb more than the RNYers (in general) are fat soluble vitamins (a,d,e and k) because those are absorbed in the intestine.

With the ERNY, you combine the mal-absorptive stomach of the RNY and the mal-absorptive intestines of the RNY. That's a lot of mal-absorption.
lizp100
on 7/7/09 6:38 am
lizp100
on 7/7/09 6:40 am
  I didn't want the double malabsobtive issues presented with the ERNY. I like that I have a larger stomach back and a pyloris. I just have to take a chewable A,D,E,K vitamin and I feel more normal. Can you imagine not having "dumping syndrome" anymore? That in itself has been fantastic! I hated my pouch. I vomited all the time; I hated going out to eat because it was a waste to order a good steak and then vomit it back up 30 minutes later. I just always had issues with my pouch. I know not everyone does but I did and so a DS was a good decision for me. I just think everyone should do their research and pick what will work best for them.  I may have been hasty to say that a DS was the only viable option, I am glad you love your ERNY. I just think everyone should research all options. I am glad to be rid of my pouch!
Most Active