Deefinately going with a revision

Kerry J.
on 7/7/09 8:03 am - Santa Clara, UT
Nancy,

The thing is, I've had RNY, I know what it's like and now that I've had the DS and know what it's like, I know the difference. The difference is that the DS is so far superior to RNY that RNY is butchering in comparison and it's butchering that there is no need to have to suffer; as there are better alternatives. The fact that more surgeons don't know this or tell their patients this shows their greed and lack of caring about their patients health and well being; IMO it's disgusting. They are trading their patients quality of life for money, because they're too damn lazy to learn the facts and get trained to do the DS.

I know this much better than anyone I've met anywhere or who posts on OH. I lived RNY for 28 years, I made RNY work for 15, with no help from the RNY, in fact it made it more difficult, but I made it work anyway. All I want to do is let people know what choices they really have, if they choose RNY anyway, that's OK with me, it's not my stomach being butchered again and it's not me having to live the RNY nightmare again.

But because of what I know now, I feel a great responsibility to let people know what they're getting into and what they're missing. The choice is still up to them, I'm just telling them what I've learned and what I've been through to get here. What people do with that is totally up to them.

Kerry
smileyjamie72
on 7/8/09 6:29 am - Palmer, AK
Kerry,

Because of your story, and experience, and others like you, who have had to have revision surgery, and the path that led you to the DS IS EXACTLY THE REASONING BEHIND ME WANTING A DS, NOT A REVISION TO MY EXSISTING RNY.

(I think I will post this to my blog as well, once I have the rest of my paperwork from the doctors to back up my personal facts.) 
Personally, the biggest thing for me was alot of soul searching, and feeling of failure.

I do not want:
1) a pouch

I DO WANT:
1) a 'normal' stomach
2) a pyloric valve that fuctions
3) to be able to drink with my meals
4) To be able to take ibuprofen, anti inflammatories... I'm not getting any younger & aches &          &  pains will happen
5) eat like a 'normal' person in public
6) eat more fat

My list goes on, but these are the ones for ME that top the list.

Everyone's choice is an individual one.  I completely respect that.  TOTALLY.
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Kerry J.
on 7/6/09 10:16 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Ginger,

I had RNY for 28 years and there is no way in hell I would let some surgeon butcher my stomach and turn it into a pouch again, no way in hell. There's no good reason you have to submit to RNY, you really should study the DS, it's far superior in any measurable way and the quality of eating and life you get with DS is also superior to what you will have with RNY.

I know this because I've had both RNY and DS, you can read all the details on my profile if you want to know what I've been through. The long and short of it is that RNY sucks compared to DS, no BS.

I have nothing to gain here, it makes no difference to me what you do, but I'm telling you that RNY is nothing more than a money maker for your surgeon, it is not the best WLS. And your surgeon is a money grubbing low life if he hasn't truthfully explained the difference in RNY and DS to you in detail as far as long term weight loss, quality of life post op and resolution of Type II and all other co-morbidity's.

Kerry

smileyjamie72
on 7/7/09 7:43 am - Palmer, AK
 I couldn't agree more, Kerry.

Now, granted, I have not had a revision from RNY to DS yet, I feel strongly about the subject as well.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

gigi2897
on 7/7/09 12:43 pm - Deer Park, TX
I didn't mean to spark this debate!!  I am just a lapbander looking forward to a change.  I actually loved my band and felt like it worked for me.  I have lost 120 pounds with it and Would love to continue with the band but at this time it isn't an option for me,  I have done plenty of research on just about every type of wls available and for me the best choice is the rny.  That doesn't mean that is the best choice for someone else.  I appreciate everyones perspective and all of the advice given.   My surgeon isn't a fan of the DS but at their seminars they do talk about it and they do let you know it is an option.  There was a lady asking lots of questions about it and I felt the surgeon speaking honestly and informatively about the procedure.  I am just looking forward to feeling much better.  I live in constant pain from this band these days and I can't wait to have it taken out.  I am doing pretty well as far as weight loss goes and really just need something to help me continue on the path that I am already on.  Again thanks to everyone for their advice and encouragement.  I am going to call the surgeons office tomorrow morning to see what is going on.  The insurance girl hasn't called me as of today so I need to figure out what is up and get the ball rolling.  Say a little prayer for me!!

Kerry J.
on 7/7/09 1:26 pm, edited 7/7/09 1:27 pm - Santa Clara, UT
You may not have meant to spark a debate, but it gives you a good opportunity to learn more about the two procedures. If you ask your surgeon, he's is going to sell you what ever it is he is selling. If you want what's best for you, then you have to take charge and do your own due diligence, you have to dig in and find the stats and truth for yourself. Don't take any ones word for anything least of all the surgeon that's planning on making $6,000.00 an hour operating on you. If you're smart, you will hire your surgeon to do the surgery you want done, nothing more, nothing less.

Kerry

brandyII
on 7/8/09 6:14 am
Good luck Gigi and keep us posted, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

gigi2897
on 7/8/09 11:01 am - Deer Park, TX
Thanks Nancy! I will.  As of today the insurance girl hasn't called me back but I email my surgeon this evening because I am having some pretty severe pain.  Strange burning around where my port incision is.  Cried most of the afternoon so I know it needs to be fixed soon.  Hope you have a great evening.

brandyII
on 7/8/09 11:12 am
Well hopefully he'll get back in touch with you soon!  I had a small hiatal hernia and GERD but never any issues around the port.  Hopefully they'll do some type of scan or X-ray to find out what the issue is.  Take care Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Most Active