Deefinately going with a revision

gigi2897
on 7/3/09 2:22 am - Deer Park, TX
I haven't had either of my surgeries yet.  I am still waiting to hear from the surgeons office.  I have to talk to the insurance girl.  I am hoping to have it all done before school starts in August.  I will be glad to share with you as I go along.  You might be ahead of me.  I do know that for the rny it is a 2 to 3 weeek time period for recovery.  I have to have it in two seperate surgeries.  I am having the lapband removed first then a few weeks later I will be having the rny.  Anyway best wishes to you!!

brandyII
on 7/3/09 3:38 am

Ginger,

I had my band removed last October and had the RNY on 6/11, so as you can see that was quite a wait but it was my own choice.  During that time I put on some major poundage.  Mine was approved for removal but I had not planned any revision.  Then after a few months of thinking and gaining I decided to go for the revision and so that was approved also.  I had not lost any of my coborbs and had added a few plus the extra weight.  Don't know if that sheds any insight into your situation or not.  Good luck with your approval, Nancy.

Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

gigi2897
on 7/5/09 10:27 am - Deer Park, TX
Thanks for the info.  I am hoping just to wait a few weeks at the most between surgeries.  I know I can't go it alone.  have a great week.

Valerieb09
on 7/3/09 6:00 am - Seacoast, NH
It's too bad you couldn't have just one surgery.  I had a revision from lapband to RNY last year done as one surgery lap with 9 incisions (I also had an unbilical hernia repaired). I was 53 years old at the time.  I have done well with my weight loss. 
My insurance initially denied my revision and then approved it a week later.  I wish you luck!

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

gigi2897
on 7/5/09 10:30 am - Deer Park, TX
I would love to have just one surgery!!  I pretty much begged the doc to do that but he wants to make sure the band is the problem and doesn't want to confuse the problem by adding more pain.  I have lots of incisions on my tummy from the lapband, gallbladder removal, and port revision surgery.  I am a little mervous about having more but I am trying to see them as battle scars!!  I am waging a war on fat!!  Thanks for the luck!!  I am sure in the end it will all work out!

Kathy H.
on 7/3/09 3:25 pm - Kent, WA
I haven't been in your situation, but I want to make sure you're familiar with *all* your surgical options. A revision is a huge step, and you owe it to yourself to be educated on *all * your choices so you're making a fully informed decision.

~she said, pointing down to her signature line~

My fingers are crossed for you with regard to your insurance company. I hope everything works out the way you want it to!

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

gigi2897
on 7/4/09 1:10 am - Deer Park, TX

Thanks.  I am pretty sure of my decision to go with the bypass.  I have done lots of research.  I actually researched all the surgeries before I hd my original surgery.  I have talked with 3 differen't surgeons as well.  I actually wanted the bypassd to begin with but to make my family happy I went with the lapband.  I am wishing now I hadn't done that.  Anyway Thanks for the crossed fingers.  Happy 4th.

marissa1987
on 7/4/09 11:58 am
OK so i had the band taken out 6 months ago, and i have gained all the wieght back, My daietes came back, im pretty sick, I need help, i want wls as soon as possible, but i dont know which 1 will be good for me,
Mdae
on 7/5/09 7:27 am
the DS has the best cure rate for diabetes.  please check into it.
brandyII
on 7/6/09 3:06 am, edited 7/6/09 3:06 am
Marissa...

I'm normally not a procedure pusher but I had type 2 diabetes and am now off all meds since my revision to RNY.  I had my RNY 8 months after my band was removed and gained a lot of weight and never lost with it in the first place.  I'm almost down 40 lbs now since May and am finally feeling like this might work!  Good luck to you and stay on top of your health, Nancy!
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Most Active