Deefinately going with a revision

gigi2897
on 7/1/09 12:39 pm - Deer Park, TX
Went to the doctor on Monday and the doc has decided the band has to go.  I am okay with that and not too worried about the surgery but I have started to panic about the insurance coverage.  My insurance company has been great so far but I am unsure if they will cover a revision since I am down to a bmi of about 33-34.  I need to have the band removed and that will definately happen.  The doctor wants to remove the band and then go back in a few weeks later to do the bypass.  I am so nervous that once the band is out the insurance company won't want to cover the second part of the surgery.  Please say aprayer for me and if anyone has been in this situation please let me know how things worked out for you.  Thanks!
Ginger

Mechelle J
on 7/1/09 10:11 pm - Manchester, KY
I am getting my band out next week due to spasms. Why are you losing your band?
Mechelle
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding"  Proverbs 3:5
gigi2897
on 7/2/09 3:38 am - Deer Park, TX
I have been having cramps and spasms on the same side as my port the doc thinks my body is rejecting the port.  Kinda worried about ikt but trying to just let go!!

JROLFSON
on 7/2/09 6:56 am - St. George, UT
Ginger:

Are they removing the band by lap? If so I somewhat understand the two part surgery...But if the band comes out open...No way, I'd tell them to make it good once and once only.

They can and normally do...

Janie
gigi2897
on 7/2/09 9:19 am - Deer Park, TX
I am not sure if they are doing it la*****t but i would think so.  I am assuming it will be easier than putting the band in.  I didn't really ask too many questions the other day at the doctor's office.  I was a little upset about losing my band.  I am sure if was going to be open they would definately do them at the same time.  The main reason doc wants to do 2 surgeries is to make sure it is actually the lapband causing me the problem.  Then if the pain I am having goes away then he will do the bypass. 

sonyadavis
on 7/2/09 11:09 am - townley, AL

i am seeking some information about the relize band i had vsrg stomache stapling in 1996 i only lost 30  pounds the surgery wasnt a success, i would like some information on how to have another weight loss surgery and how to get the insurance company to pay for it the second time around..i have some health issues and my bmi is 37 i am really seeking a second surgery if you could help me or find someone that know how to go about this please let me know...i will say a prayer for you and good luck on your surgery....my weight has got me so depressed i weigh 245# and i really need some help...God Bless and you will be fine

gigi2897
on 7/2/09 2:27 pm - Deer Park, TX
I am pretty new at this entire revision stuff.  I have only known this was what was going to happen for a few days.  I will talk to my surgeons insurance person on Monday or tuesday and then I will know more.  Good luck to you on your journey.

Nancy C.
on 7/2/09 11:48 am - Dallas, TX
Be very careful.  This is exactly what happened to me.  My lap band had to go due to a posterior slip and my doctor advised that I have the band removed and then two weeks later (after stomach had recovered due to inflamation) he would go back in and either give me a new band or do RNY.  My insurance denied me coverage due to low BMI, no more co-morbities, and also a lack of 5 year history of obesity (duh, I had the band for two years!).

I have fought the insurance for 13 months, almost exactly to the day.  Today, I just found out that I finally have won the battle and have been approved.  But there certainly way no "two weeks and have a revision".

Not trying to scare you, just want to help you make the best decision for yourself.  Your health should come first most certainly.  Talk to your insurance company before you to into surgery for the removal, that should give you a better idea of what you are facing.

Best wishes to you and if you should need any support, I will certainly be here.  :o)
Nancy            
gigi2897
on 7/2/09 2:31 pm - Deer Park, TX
Thanks so much Nancy,  I am so worried about that happeneing to me that I was tempted to tell my Doc that the pain I was feeling was miraculously gone!!  I know that wouldn't be smart though.  I am so scared that the insurance company won't understand what is going on.  Anyway I am sure I will be looking to you for support in the future as I deal with the insurance company.  Congrats on your approval.

qhorsegal
on 7/3/09 1:35 am - KY
Good morning. I am happy to read your post. I go Tuesday to get my surgery date to remove this lapband and get RNY. The band didn't work for me, I lost 16 pounds and have gained that back. I just got it in Oct. 08. I felt hungry all the time in my stomach and the food it seems just backs up my throat. I am excited about getting the RNY. I am looking for feedback on how long to plan on being off work? And what kind of recovery have you had? Thank you for any advice you can offer me.  Donna
Most Active