I have my appointment! ( my story too)

Jerseygirljedi
on 6/30/09 1:57 am - bridgeton, NJ
I finally was able to get an appointment with Dr. Greenbaum in N.J to discuss either a Roun-en-y revision or a DS! I have been so frustrated with my poor results. I had an open RNY in 2005, I was 301 lbs, I could hardly walk because my knees and back hurt so much. I was having sciatica pain all the time so much thet my toes in my right foot would go numb, I had GERD, sleep apnea and I was so depressed and embarassed I would never leave the house, and that made my 4 kids suffer because they want to play with thier momma. So I decided to have the RNY ( i was 26) My weight came of really really slow. at one month I had lost about 15lbs and at 12 months i lost 82 lbs and that was where it stopped, it was all a slow gain back since and I am now at 265 lbs. I addressed my concern with my surgeon and he just kept saying that the weight would come off, and they he gave me a perscription for phentermine, which made me feel like i was having a heart attack and made me feel really jumpy and loopy. Let me also mention that I have has diareeah (sp) pretty much 3-4 days a week since and he has done nothing...I have also had to have 2 hernia repairs and I have a 3rd hernia at the moment. The GERD is back, the sciatica is back, the depression is back, the extreme knee pain and fatigue is back. I feel horrible everyday and all the time. It makes me feel like a piece of crap and a total failure to myself, my kids and my husband! My husband was 400lbs when I had my RNY and he decided that if I was going to lsoe weight, so was he..but he did it all himself with no surgery and no pills and is now a "normal sized" 220 lb 6'3 man and is in better health then he has been since he was like 21! I can't begin to tell you all how proud I am of him I just wish I woas able to to it myself too, but I can't. Anyway, thank's for reading and wish me luck on my appointment and future surgery! I will keep in touch with progress!! Ry
smileyjamie72
on 6/30/09 3:47 am - Palmer, AK
First off.......   And welcome.  I am glad you have an appointment to discuss your options.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

virginia O.
on 6/30/09 11:32 pm - haverhill, MA
Good luck with your appointment.  I hope it works out.   I can hear your frustration along with the shame that you are feeling.   Hang in there.  It isn't your fault.  Hugs     Ginny

Monique H.
on 7/1/09 1:05 am
First of all I want to say I feel your pain feel free to read my story. Now I just want to say to make sure you search every option that is available to you. I don't want to say to go in one direction or another, but just make sure you pick the right surgery that will do the most good for you. I can't say that a ds would have worked better for me than becoming a distal rny because I've never had the ds. I do know that I wish that I would have had that option as far as insurance goes only because of the stats that I have seen on this board. Since having my rny turned into a distal on January 13th I have lost 46 pounds. I was exercising a lot and keeping my calories low. Some say that I wasn't eating enough and who knows maybe I wasn't all I know is that this is a slow process, but the weight is still coming off. Good luck to you and congratulations on taking the next step to improving your life.

Monique
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active