RNY to DS comparison

JRinAZ
on 6/30/09 4:32 am - Layton, UT
On June 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM Pacific Time, kerr wrote:
Hi, I've never been to this board before, so please forgive my not having previously introduced myself.

I notice that you ask people to "stay with the facts--or our own personal experience?"
I am confused.  You say the information is not accurate,and suggest the diaper issue is true, rather than myth. You also say to stick with personal experience. Does this mean you have a DS, and now wear diapers? 

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DS_PostOp_Problems/

[email protected]
Back on Track Group  (yahoo)
Facebook group
Protein Group
BariatricEating.com
itsalifestyle.com
etc.

There are many support sites.  The O.H. DS forum is just one of them.  Many people have chosen to chatter elsewhere.  Just because people don't advertise their bowel issues on the O.H. DS forum does NOT mean the problem does not exist.

DS info would definitely be presented differently on a DS forum rather than on an Rny forum so to post a happy DS'ers opinions as to whether something is a myth or not on this mixed forum is misleading. 

I have a wide circle of DS friends and like Rny'ers, no 2 DS post-ops claim the exact same stats, success or problems.  Because one experiences a less prevelant post-op issue than another does not mean that it shouldn't be mentioned as a possible side effect of a type of surgery.

Unfortunately for a few; loose and unexpected BM's are a reality.

I fall into this same category and I have an Rny (shorter common channel though than most DS'ers).  As one DS poster mentioned on this thread,  Control Carbs=Controlled bowels.

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

kitkat24
on 6/30/09 9:43 am

I have addressed that list myself.  That list is all SCOPINARO OLD DS procedure.  GO ON IT AND ASK THEM ALL!!!   I did.

It is different.  A Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is totally different. 

Your wide circle of DS friends is similar to my wide circle of RNY friends.  It is anecdotal without controlled scholarly studies. 

Read the literature on the Duodenal Switch. 

Body by God; alterations by Buchwald.  I love Jesus.  I so so so appreciate my DS.

kitkat24
on 6/30/09 9:47 am

I was a member of that list for years, and have been a member of OH for years too.  I couldn't figure out why the listserv folks had SO MANY ISSUES, compared to the OH folks.  When I asked here, they said that those were the Scopinaro folks.

So, I posted a thread:  Have most of you had surgery with Scopinaro procedure?  The answer was Yes.

Body by God; alterations by Buchwald.  I love Jesus.  I so so so appreciate my DS.

JRinAZ
on 6/30/09 1:47 pm - Layton, UT

The original post I commented on did not qualify old or new DS.

There are variations in Rny's as well with a different set of "possible" issues attatched to each.  Whether someone has experienced any of the listed possible side effects of a DS or not is not the issue but that the possibility exists and is not a "myth".  And, yes I have read the latest DS literature.  That's where the possibilities are listed.  ....  In fact, I encourage newbies all the time to check out the DS by sharing that current literature with them.

I see that your original O.H. joining date was around the same time as mine.  So, we've both been around long enough to know that stats can be totally different based on one's perspective and research group.  It's like there is a scripture that supports almost every belief.....same with stats.

The many lists I have participated on and continue to be a part of entail people with EVERY type of surgery.  These people support one another harmoniously with the same goals in mind:  health, wealth and the best possible way to choke down protein for the rest of their lives, get their labs in great condition and finding supplements that don't cost a fortune!

Joyce 

JRinAZ
on 6/30/09 4:42 am - Layton, UT
Hey Kerr,
My apologies!  I kind of lumped the thread together in one post and realized after i sent it that it didn't make sense with your post!

I meant to respond to KitKat.....and the previous poster.

Actually, I probably should have just left the forum all together and headed to a different place for my daily support :)  Oh well.....people can hit the delete button or skip over the junk

Take Care,
Joyce 

LosingSally
on 6/30/09 12:15 am, edited 6/30/09 12:19 am
I am always supprised when anyone with problems or issues actually posts them on OH. The attacks and " it is YOUR OWN FAULT" type replies would deter the hardiest soul, IMO.
However, I have noticed that those on the RNY board do post more freely, maybe because those with RNY outnumber all others, and they find more support for porblems, than attacks when they remain on the RNY board.
Am I saying ANYONE wears diapers? Yeah, I am certain some people do, after having a malabsorptive surgery. Possibly for reasons including previous health matters, but p[ossibly relating only to their surgery.
There are other sites related to weight loss surgery that post more freely about such things. Including weight regain. Anyone is free to do a web search and come up with posts from people who actually have whatever surgery type you wish to do research on. This isn't the only boards on the web.  If you read these other sites, you can get a more rounded picture of the whole debate that goes on here ad nauseam.
For every possible side effect, there ARE people who have suffered it, or it wouldn't be listed by reputable surgeons who perform the surgery it applies to!!! What part of that is so difficult to understand?
I have no real dog in this fight, as I have a RNY pouch with a 200cm short common channel. I have the possibility of dumping ( I don't dump as of now, 4 yrs out in August) , possibility of  pouch problems, fat malabsorption along with possible toilet problems, vitamin malabsorption with possible consequences to my health, and lots of other "possibilities".
Anecdotal evidence that all these possibilities DO happen is as good as anecdotal evidence that all these possibilities DON'T happen!
I would say speaking to your own experiences makes the most impression on me, when I consider what the truth is about side effects of weight loss surgery of any kind, always taking in to account that one person's experience may be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from your own. That's why all surgeons and programs speak of " possibilities".
JEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ETA: the BPD/DS is the DS that people have today, right now as we type this. That is what is it designated in medical literature, and insurance forms, and by the surgeons who perform it.
The old surgery you speak of was BPD, with no DS as part of the surgery.
smileyjamie72
on 6/30/09 1:57 am - Palmer, AK
I am sorry

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

mew6495
on 7/6/09 12:02 am - MI
On June 30, 2009 at 7:15 AM Pacific Time, LosingSally wrote:
I am always supprised when anyone with problems or issues actually posts them on OH. The attacks and " it is YOUR OWN FAULT" type replies would deter the hardiest soul, IMO.
However, I have noticed that those on the RNY board do post more freely, maybe because those with RNY outnumber all others, and they find more support for porblems, than attacks when they remain on the RNY board.
Am I saying ANYONE wears diapers? Yeah, I am certain some people do, after having a malabsorptive surgery. Possibly for reasons including previous health matters, but p[ossibly relating only to their surgery.
There are other sites related to weight loss surgery that post more freely about such things. Including weight regain. Anyone is free to do a web search and come up with posts from people who actually have whatever surgery type you wish to do research on. This isn't the only boards on the web.  If you read these other sites, you can get a more rounded picture of the whole debate that goes on here ad nauseam.
For every possible side effect, there ARE people who have suffered it, or it wouldn't be listed by reputable surgeons who perform the surgery it applies to!!! What part of that is so difficult to understand?
I have no real dog in this fight, as I have a RNY pouch with a 200cm short common channel. I have the possibility of dumping ( I don't dump as of now, 4 yrs out in August) , possibility of  pouch problems, fat malabsorption along with possible toilet problems, vitamin malabsorption with possible consequences to my health, and lots of other "possibilities".
Anecdotal evidence that all these possibilities DO happen is as good as anecdotal evidence that all these possibilities DON'T happen!
I would say speaking to your own experiences makes the most impression on me, when I consider what the truth is about side effects of weight loss surgery of any kind, always taking in to account that one person's experience may be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from your own. That's why all surgeons and programs speak of " possibilities".
JEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ETA: the BPD/DS is the DS that people have today, right now as we type this. That is what is it designated in medical literature, and insurance forms, and by the surgeons who perform it.
The old surgery you speak of was BPD, with no DS as part of the surgery.
  Way to go Sally!  Thanks for posting and maintaining a "neutral" attitude surrounding the many different types of WL surgeries, without suggesting that any one type is free from possible issues.  I think it is important that anyone reading these boards understand there are risk potentials with ALL WLS types.

smileyjamie72
on 6/30/09 1:55 am - Palmer, AK
Thank You for your reply.  I'll quit doing any copy & past.  I'll just direct with links.

Sorry
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

JRinAZ
on 6/30/09 4:52 am - Layton, UT
Smiley Jamie 72!!!!

You are jazzed about your surgery type!  You SHOULD be!!!  The DS is a fabulous tool to become a LOSER!!!

LOSER'S ROCK! 
Joyce 

Most Active