new here...sort of

virginia O.
on 6/28/09 9:11 am - haverhill, MA
Hi everyone,
My name is Ginny. I am beginning a new part of my WLS Journey next week and am looking for some support on the way.   I had an open RNY in Feb 2002 and experienced some real success with it.  I started at 261 pounds and ended up at 135 pounds.   Over the past couple of years I have had some weight gain .   At first I chose to ignore it....until I hit 187.  I swallowed my pride, overcame the feelings of shame and went back to see my surgeon.  He referred me to a surgeon who does an endoscopic procedure called sclerotherapy to shrink an enlarged stoma. 
I am having this procedure on July 6th and am looking at it as a new beginning.  I have to go back to liquids for a while.  So I can start all over.   I am looking forward to making some new friends here on OH.   Ginny

JROLFSON
on 6/29/09 6:20 am - St. George, UT
Hi Ginny:

Welcome to the revision board. We all feel your pain here as most on this site have had or are trying to have a revision.

I wish I had good news for you when it comes to the sclerotherapy....There have been a couple people here that have posted results that were initially positive but proved out to not be so good after months out.

I don't want to diminish your excitement or rain on your parade at all...to the contrary I hope this procedure works for you 100%...we just haven't seen a lot of good results to date on the boards here as yet.

I hope there is someone who will come forward and say they are having good results for you.

Janie
virginia O.
on 6/29/09 8:01 am - haverhill, MA

Hi Janie,
My feeling is that if it works even temporarily, it will be worth it.    If I have regain after this, at least it will show that I tried everything else before going for a revision.  
Please don't apologize for not having good news.   I was looking for other people's experiences, not other people's good experiences.   Thank you for responding truthfully!

JROLFSON
on 6/30/09 12:21 am - St. George, UT
Dear Ginny:

You have an amazing attitude going into this procedure and I commend you and feel you will do well because of it.

Have they told you how many procedures or times they will do this procedure. From what I understand it sometimes takes several procedures to achieve the restriction one would be looking for? Also, does your insurance cover this procedure? I have even considered this procedure myself as I am a 3rd time revisioner but have an enlarged pouch and stoma. My last revision was a ERNY and they didn't do anything with the pouch I feel if I had some restriction still I could really lose a lot more weight.

Good Luck to you Ginny....I hope for all the success in the world.

Janie
virginia O.
on 6/30/09 1:21 am - haverhill, MA
Hi Janie,

I have  been told that this may have to be done more than once to get the proper size for the stoma.  One thing I have going for me is that my pouch is not enlarged. I still do feel restriction.  The problem is that I am ready to eat again in an hour or so.  Part of this is habit, part of it is real hunger.  I have to go back to liquids for 14 days and then to puree-soft foods etc for 4 weeks.  My feeling is that it will give me an opportunity to get a handle on the food situation and re-focus myself. 
I am miserable at this weight.  Many of the old problems have resurfaced (painful feet etc.).  Fortunately my blood pressure and sugar have remained at healthy levels.  I would like to keep them that way.
Thanks for the support!  

Monique H.
on 6/30/09 1:47 am
I just wanted to say good luck to you Ginny. I hope that it is successful for you.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
virginia O.
on 6/30/09 5:24 am - haverhill, MA
Thanks Monique!  I hope so too.  Thanks for the support.   ginny

Most Active