G TUBE

coachmnowak
on 6/28/09 1:00 am
I have a date of August 6, 09.  My surgeon mentioned inserting a G-TUBE this time...  Something about "decompression" of the old stomach?   can anyone give me information on this other than what he described to me?  I had two drains with my first surgery... If anyone can describe the purpose for the G-TUBE with the revision surgery i would appreciate it... Also- looking for information concerning care while the  G-TUBE is inserted.

Thanks in advance.

M
smileyjamie72
on 6/29/09 3:58 am - Palmer, AK
What kind of suregery did you have the first time??  And, what are you revising to??
I cannot get into your profile to get any info to help you answer these questions.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

coachmnowak
on 6/29/09 4:20 am
i had a RNY open bypass 6/11/02.  I am having a revision to that surgery 8/6/09.

my profile should be open to public now.  thanks for responding.
A journey toward something is also a journey away from something.
Whatever we give our mental attention to in our lives will increase in our lives.
If you want to sleep later go to bed earlier.

smileyjamie72
on 6/29/09 7:09 am - Palmer, AK

OK, Thanks!!!  The G-Tube is also referred to as a "feeding tube".  Here is a link from the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-tube

I would also post this on other boards.  I personally do not have any experience with a feeding tube, but I do remember a few details from someone on another board ( and I am sure that there are more ) said the reasoning was for hydration.

Hope that helps!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Jodi09
on 6/29/09 9:51 pm - MI
Hi, I have a feeding tube right now.  I have a J-Tube.  It is my understanding that the two types of feeding tubes.  J and G and it depends on where they are inserted.  A J tube is inserted into the bowel, a G tube is inserted into the stomach.  They are used to avoid food irriatating the the GI tract so you will heal properly.  Also proper nutrition through a feeding tube promotes healing.  My food is a liquid that comes in a can and is delivered over 12 hours at night through an IV pump.  I also deliver water and protien powder mixed with water through a large syringe directly into my J tube.  I believe with a G tube (I am not sure) that you can deliver food faster in a boulus form.  I have to sleep at a 30 degree angle so the liquid food does not back up but goes down like it is supposed to.  I sleep in a very comfortable recliner.

As far as care of the tube.  I just keep it clean and dry with a special tube gauze taped over it.  If you are not inserting food then you have to flu**** with water to keep the liquid food from drying or clogging the tube.  I just flu**** and go.  I tuck the tube into my binder and go about my normal life.

I will say is sucks not being able to taste food.  But after 2 monthes I am used to it.  I know that the important thing is for me to get this nutrition and heal.  I do not feel hungry with the tube feeding, it delivers all the calories I need.  I am losing more slowly at this time but as I said the important thing is to heal right now.

I hope this helps you.
Lori G.
on 7/2/09 9:56 pm - CA
Aloha M-

Jodi speaks from experience. A G tube is placed directly through your skin into your stomach, a J tube would be placed directly through your skin into your jejunum ( small intestine). Either tube allows for direct placement of nutrients into your GI tract- bypassing your mouth and esophagus. In the case of a J tube, it would bypass your stomach entirely.

The single most important nutrient required to heal is protein- if someone is inappetant ( won't eat) because they feel crappy, or cannot eat because of a damaged stomach, or is a poor healer for whatever reason, then the surgeon will place one of these tubes in order to ensure protein/calorie  intake and facilitate healing. You can also be fed intravenously ( TPN or Total Parenteral Nutrition) but it involves placing a central line (specialized catheter into a large blood vessel) and is reserved for more extreme ort long term cases (involves more risk and aftercare).

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/421427-overview

These are probably different from the drains you had after your first surgery- those probably were drains to keep fluid from accumulating in your subcutaneous tissues and are usually pulled after 3-7 days. Nothing goes into those tubes, they are placed to allow healing from the "inside out" in some patients.

Good luck next month! XOLori

Most Active