Lap-Band is OUT

2ndchance
on 6/28/09 4:17 am
I had my lap-band out on Tuesday and I'm glad that it is out.  I'm recovering from the surgery physically but emotionally, I'm a mess!  I'm suffering from regret of what I've done to my body, making my family feel uncomfortable during my PB's, the scaring to my body, lack of weight loss, and I'm sure I can think of more. 

I went to confession yesterday because I really feel bad about scaring my body that the good Lord gave me.  I think seeing the scars puts me into a tailspin of emotions. 

I will need to continue reading the board for support.    And in some weird way, I wish those on the lap-band board would read this board more often before having their surgery.

More-later as the thoughts become more clear.

Lap-band out at 193 and will try weighdown workshop with God's help to get the rest off.
Kerry J.
on 6/28/09 1:34 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I haven't had the Lap Band, but I have had those same feelings a few times. I've had a lot more damage to my body than a few scars; you can read all the details on my profile if you want to know all what I've been through.

Anyway, I think I understand what you're feeling, but you just need to realize that we go through every day trying to do the best we can and sometimes we make mistakes. It doesn't do any good to brood about the mistakes, it does help to move ahead and do your best to avoid future mistakes and improve your life as best you can.

Best regards,

Kerry
Kathy H.
on 6/28/09 3:03 pm - Kent, WA
I know all about regrets, and I'm sorry you're feeling the way you are.

Kerry is right - we all make the best decision we can for ourselves given the cir****tances we're dealing with at the time. Sometimes it's the right decision, sometimes not. And sometimes it's the best decision, but then cir****tances change and it's no longer the best decision.

Please remember that plunging into despair and guilt over our decisions won't turn back the clock, and won't erase the scars. It's best if you can find a way to lift your chin, make amends if it's appropriate, and move forward in a positive way with your new knowledge.

I hope you find a way to forgive yourself and to begin loving the (very) human being you are.

All the best to you...

Kath
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

2ndchance
on 6/28/09 3:41 pm
Dear Kerry and Kathy,

Thank you both for the kind words.  I know that in a few days or weeks, I'll feel better about the whole situation.  I will know that I made the right decision to remove the band and the scars will give me that reminder.  I was just reading on lapbandtalk about life after the band and read a lot of similar stories like mine and my life with the band.  Reading that board actually made me feel better. 

I'm usually a strong person but this week, I feel weak.  Through prayer and faith, I'll pick myself back up and I'm sure my post will become more positive.

Again, Thank you for the positive words.
brandyII
on 6/29/09 12:29 pm
I too had mine removed last October and it never worked for me and caused me a lot of emotional grief due to the fact that my expectations were never met.  It took me six months to make the decision to revise to RNY and  so far I'm glad I did.  Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

qhorsegal
on 7/3/09 1:22 am - KY
Good morning Nancy. I am happy to read your post. I go Tuesday to get my surgery date to remove this lapband and get RNY. The band didn't work for me, I lost 16 pounds and have gained that back. I just got it in Oct. 08. I felt hungry all the time in my stomach and the food it seems just backs up your throat. I am excited about getting the RNY. How long were you off work? And what kind of recovery have you had? Thank you for any advice you can offer me.  Donna
Mechelle J
on 6/29/09 10:55 pm - Manchester, KY
I am having problems with my 3.5 year old band. They say I can have another band or the bypass. I am afraid of the bypass and 50 pounds would get me to my goal.

Would you mind me asking whay you had your band removed?
Mechelle
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding"  Proverbs 3:5
2ndchance
on 6/30/09 12:10 pm
I've had trouble with my band since it was put in.  I did not have slippage, but I would have food stuck from soft foods.  In the winter, I would have to drink hot tea till after lunch before I could eat do to mucas.   At times, I could eat anything, then the next day, I would choke.  My lifestyle was not improved from the band and resulted in me missing out on a better quality of life that wanted with my band.  In the end, I had many reasons on why it didn't work......

If you read on lapbandtalk forum 'life after band removal' you can find lots of info on why it didn't work for others (I felt like it was my story). 
BAShinn
on 6/30/09 2:44 pm - AR
VSG on 11/17/07 with
HIJACK:  Mechelle...I don't know if you remember me from the LB board, but I wanted to say I'm sorry you're having troubles.  I do remember you.  I had my band out two years ago.  Hugs and my thoughts are with you. 

Bridget    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad.  An optimist is a man who hopes they are.  ~Chauncey Mitchell Depew
SW: 275   
CW: 225   GW: 150

Total lost: 50 lbs.

Mechelle J
on 6/30/09 10:07 pm - Manchester, KY
Of course I remember you! I could never forget someone so beautiful! If I remember correctly you teach? I teach first grade.

What happened with your band? I have been up since 5am with spasms, I have dran****il I fill like I am going to float.

They are going to take my band out on 7-9. I can get a new band or a bypass or of course nothing. I am afraid of all three. I don't know what to do. I wanted a sleeve but they say my insurance will not cover it.

Great to hear from you!

Mechelle
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding"  Proverbs 3:5
Most Active