Fobi addition to standard RNY

FernTate
on 6/25/09 1:14 am
Anybody had this?  I heard from one person who did it recently,  and would love to hear
from others.  Seems a better solution that the stomaphyx which proved to fail.  This would
be for a stretched out stoma and post op (rny)weight gain.
JustMe70
on 6/25/09 3:56 am
I am investigating revision and my GI test results say my stma is wide open and a contributing factor to the 100% regain I have had.  My new dr. basically says the food I eat washes right through and my hunger does not stay satisfied.
JRinAZ
on 6/25/09 6:36 am - Layton, UT
On June 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM Pacific Time, FernTate wrote:
Anybody had this?  I heard from one person who did it recently,  and would love to hear
from others.  Seems a better solution that the stomaphyx which proved to fail.  This would
be for a stretched out stoma and post op (rny)weight gain.
Dr. Simon in Phoenix has been doing them for years......Many successes and many get severe gerd.  ... similar to band over bypass (aka BOB) but more severe....(no adjustment possible)

Turns all the altos into sopranos!  he he he!!!

Keep us posted!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Kathy H.
on 6/28/09 2:55 pm - Kent, WA
I encourage you to research all your options, including the Duodenal Switch. Like me, you've already had a weight loss surgery, and that makes our metabolism particularly stubborn. For many in our cir****tances, the only way to take the additional weight off **and keep it off** is to revise their original surgery to the DS, which is considered the bazooka of weight-loss surgeries.

The DS has more of a malabsorptive element than does the RNY, which is why it has superior long-term weight loss statistics. Study after study shows that the DS has not only superior weight-loss durability, but also superior co-morbidity resolution. In my opinion, it also offers the best post-op quality of life, because you're able to eat more normal portions.

It's been explained to me that the RNY is a mostly restrictive surgery with a little malabsorption, and the DS is a mostly malabsorptive surgery with a little restriction.

Anyway, it's a big decision, and you deserve to know about all your options. Please ask questions on the DS board ... lots of knowledgeable people over there who are willing to answer any questions you might have.

And best of luck to you, regardless of what you decide.

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

FernTate
on 6/29/09 1:06 am
Thanks, I'm sure you're probably right.  But I, like many, don't have the option of a second
surgery.  No private funds for it - and insurance won't cover it, only would the RNY.  What we
need is a simpler solution.  I have faith the RNY works without the stoma issue.  I also
worry about more extreme obsorption issues, for long-term health?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Fern
Most Active