Had revision on Friday and having pains, any ideas?

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/09 8:50 am
I had RNY done 6 yrs. ago and had no complications. This time I only had my intestines re-routed. My surgeron says it's just like the DS without the sleeve portion. Anyways..

I am having major pains. They come and go and get extremely severe. It almost feels like I"m having spasms in my intestine? I don't know if this is normal but the pain got so severe I also went in. I made it through and now the pains are gone and I"m just tired. I don't know what to think. This is the third time since I've been home that it has happened.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Thanks,
Tara

Lorie2
on 6/24/09 1:07 pm
I had surgery in Feb of this year and had some of the same pains. The doctor said it probably was some gas pains because they blow air in there when they do surgery. It was very painful. It did go away but took awhile. some days I thought I was going to die. If it don't get better get checked by your doc!
Lori
shele
on 6/24/09 10:28 pm

Hey Tara,

It could be any number of things. If it makes you uneasy call your doctor or a nurse hotine and see what they suggest. You can never be too safe!

I have pains in my left belly when it is almost time for a bm. (TMI)!  I also had a lot of gas pain up to 6 days out, open surgery.

Hope it gets better for you!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/09 4:34 am
Thanks for the response..

It was spasms in my intestines!! Dr. put me on some meds and I'm fixed.  

The gas does suck but I'm finding ways to fight through that.

Tara
smileyjamie72
on 6/25/09 5:32 am - Palmer, AK
Glad your doc knew what it was & was able to treat you!!!!

Hope you are feeling better!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

JRinAZ
on 6/25/09 6:44 am - Layton, UT
On June 23, 2009 at 3:50 PM Pacific Time, tara_b wrote:
I had RNY done 6 yrs. ago and had no complications. This time I only had my intestines re-routed. My surgeron says it's just like the DS without the sleeve portion. Anyways..

I am having major pains. They come and go and get extremely severe. It almost feels like I"m having spasms in my intestine? I don't know if this is normal but the pain got so severe I also went in. I made it through and now the pains are gone and I"m just tired. I don't know what to think. This is the third time since I've been home that it has happened.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Thanks,
Tara

Tara,
Try tylenol with your nutritional intake so that the processing is a bit relaxed and the gas/bloating pains are minimal.  This gets less frequent with time but even a year and a half out from my ERny revision, I can be stopped in my tracks with that gripping pain.  It's always best for the entire neighborhood if I am near a restroom so I can "blow" it out but sometimes we've just got to do the feminine thing and hold it and then....... Yikes!  The PAIN!!!

Try:  High doses of beano before eating, try chewing Devrom (order on-line) after eating, try limiting spicey foods for a while, gassy veggies & beans, lactose, naughty type of carbs....white sugar will almost always cause an "attack"! 

Flood your insides with oodles of water while you're healing (and always) ....that helps wash out the impurities.....try sipping a hot herbal tea to calm the raging storm (I use a digestive mint tea at Hi health)...with some stevia.  Stay away from sweeteners...they cause all kinds of trouble while they're working their way towards the EXIT!!!

Congrats on yours surgery! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/09 10:50 am
Joyce,
Thank you so much for the advice!! I feel pretty lost and not really sure what foods to stay away from and what may help with gas and such. I see the dietitian coming up and I'm hoping she has some great advice like yours as well.

Flushing with water has def. helped and I've come to realize skim milk is not my friend. Once I went off that I've had a lot of relief.

I'm going to add you as a friend as I have questions I'd like to get some more of your great advice.

Thanks Again,
Tara
Nancy S.
on 6/25/09 11:55 pm - Mesa, AZ
Joyce, have you tried the new "Truvia" sweetener? does it bother you?
JRinAZ
on 6/26/09 1:53 am - Layton, UT
On June 26, 2009 at 6:55 AM Pacific Time, poMaddict wrote:
Joyce, have you tried the new "Truvia" sweetener? does it bother you?
I LOvE Truvia  but I use the "Only Sweet" brand of stevia.

I use it every day with my herbal tea and in my flax seed muffin!

ZERO calories, no carbs  zero sugar grams.....just a nice natural sweet!

no problems with my insides with stevia!  

I should get royalties for that commercial, don't cha think?? 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/09 2:36 am - Phx, AZ
Joyce:

FORGET FEMININITY!!!  Blast with the best of 'em!!!  Sign on w/a Crab Boat!  Join a motorcycle gang!  Work construction!  Fart to your heart's content!  You will then figure out who your REAL friends are!!!  ha ha.  Just a bit of humor for the situation. 
Most Active