Revision - Band Over Bypass or Revise RNY

Denise V.
on 6/22/09 5:19 am
Hi All~

I have posted a few times on here, but not to often.  I started looking into a revising a while back and really was not getting my hopes up as I was told that my BMI was pretty low (30ish) and that the insurance may not cover it, so I had my Dr. office submit the paperwork and what do you know, I was approved the very same day it was submitted!!!  Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that would be the case....

Now I am tossing the idea of which revision I want.... We found out that the Dr that did the original RNY did not do the entire process, instead he gave me a mini-bypass...  So I am wondering if I should just have my by pass revised, or go for the Band Over Bypass (BOB)....  I am not sure.  I know I want to have one more child later down the road and for that I think the BOB would be the way to go, but then again if I have the full bypass maybe that would work out okay too... I do have one post op baby now (will be 9 months on the 30th), and I have not been able to lose any of the weight I gained with her....

I know I am rambling, but I am open to all your feedback and experience....

Thanks!
Denise
~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
sillygirl18
on 6/23/09 1:01 am
Congrats on a beautiful baby!
I had a regular open RNY in 2002.  My stoma was enlarged but my pouch was intact.  My only real option was a band over bypass.  I had that done on 5/29/09.  So far I'm happy with it.  I really like the idea that if something happens medically they can "let the air out of it" - so to speak - and I'll have no restriction.  The weight doesn't come off as easily with the band as it did with the full bypass.  The rules are the same - no eating and drinking.  protein 1st and foremost.  exercise is necessary.  But its a personal choice....and you need to do what's best for you.  I can tell you that the recovery time for the band is only a week (lap).  That was a huge blessing for me as I couldn't take another 6 weeks off from work again.
Good luck!
Sara

glad2bamom
on 6/26/09 5:31 am - Ogden, UT
Hi Denise!
This is my first post on this site and I have to say that I am so excited to find it! I am in a similar situation as you in that I am also considering a revision to my RNY. It was performed in 1996 when I was 16 years old. I now have four kids and am DONE with the baby-making. I have gained back a signifigant amount of weight and wonder if I should feel better that the gaining was only during my pregnancies...? Anyhow, I am happy to be finished with that part of my life and ready to get the weight off again and move towards a healthier body as I raise my darling kiddos.  I am hoping for a revision of my original surgery and am not interested in the band. I've read some pretty unpleasant things about it and really don't like the idea of having a port.
Have you considered waiting until you are done having kids so that you don't have to worry about more baby weight to lose?
I'll be interested to see what you find out and what you decide. Good luck!
Nicole
JRinAZ
on 6/29/09 7:07 am - Layton, UT
On June 26, 2009 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, glad2bamom wrote:
Hi Denise!
This is my first post on this site and I have to say that I am so excited to find it! I am in a similar situation as you in that I am also considering a revision to my RNY. It was performed in 1996 when I was 16 years old. I now have four kids and am DONE with the baby-making. I have gained back a signifigant amount of weight and wonder if I should feel better that the gaining was only during my pregnancies...? Anyhow, I am happy to be finished with that part of my life and ready to get the weight off again and move towards a healthier body as I raise my darling kiddos.  I am hoping for a revision of my original surgery and am not interested in the band. I've read some pretty unpleasant things about it and really don't like the idea of having a port.
Have you considered waiting until you are done having kids so that you don't have to worry about more baby weight to lose?
I'll be interested to see what you find out and what you decide. Good luck!
Nicole
Hiya Nicole!
I just returned from your neck of the woods!  (N. Ogden) .....  It is sooooo pretty there and much cooler than AZ for now :)  Loved the roses!  Holy Cow!  They are gigantuous!

Anyway, have you heard of Vitalady?  She'll be passing through on her vitatrip and has a scheduled get together in Ogden!  She was revised to a Distal (aka ERny) several years ago and is so teeny tiny that she often has to shop in the girls dept!  You'll love her and she can answer oodles of questions on Revisions.

You can find out her scheduled stops at www.vitalady.com

If you're interested in traveling then you should be able to find several experienced Revision surgeons.  I haven't heard of many in the SLC metro area.

Congrats on your 4 kiddos and on moving forward to take care of YOU!  The only regrets I have of having WLS & a revision is that I didn't do it when my kids were little.  I missed out on so many activities while they were growing up.  AND....I still get soggy eyed when I can hold my grand baby's up close on my LAP and realize that I wasn't able to cuddle their mommy or daddy quite that comfortably as babies.  After the weight loss and then after my TT.......I found hip bones and my grand kids found a great seat!  LOL!

Kudos to YOU!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

tochatty
on 7/5/09 1:01 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
I totally know where you are coming from.  I had Open RNY in 2000 and now I have a rupture in my staple line and not sure if I should do ERNY or Band over Bypass as well.  To me the band is a band aid taht is not really solving the problem if the rupture, but the other surgery is also more evassive. 

I have been doing a lot of behavior modication first becuase I know for me this has to be the last time as well as I have to be compliant with the diet after surgery.  So i figure what ever bad habits I went back to after my original surgery 9 years ago I want to try to address now before I decide to do a revision. 

Still unsure of which surgery to have however.  I would be interested to see everyone's feedback for you as well. 

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Denise V.
on 7/6/09 4:25 am
Hi There!
When I posted this I was considering the BOB and really was leaning towards that.  But I have since found out that I did not actually have the RNY done in 2004, instead they did a mini bypass on me!  That was a bit of a shocker, I had/have really mixed emotions about that, being told and led to believe that you had one thing, only to find out 5  years later you had something different!

I will be having the RNY done on the 3rd of August, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the best for me.   My insurance approved the revision on the SAME day the claim was submitted, but they would not approve the Band over Bypass.  I am just feeling very blessed that they will cover this, as we were not to sure if they would or not as my BMI is on 30 (I say only, but please do not take offense to that, I know I have a long way to go, it is just that most insurance companies will not approve if your BMI is less than 35.)

I wish you luck in you revision journey!
~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
Most Active