fecal incontinence and insurance

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/09 6:33 am, edited 6/21/09 6:35 am
Got your attention?

Yes, this is the result of my RNY. Horrible, terrible outcome, and one that I did not expect.

I am looking to a revision to a DS, where the pyloric valve will be re-engaged, but I'm at denial #1.

I cannot imagine that any medical reviewer would permit a family member to exist with fecal incontinence. It's ugly.

Does anyone have any advice about how to battle insurance about a revision? Honestly, even going back to my original anatomy would be better than what I have now. Not that I would lose weight that way, but at least I would not be in risk of ruining my car, house, and workplace.
jeanyjane
on 6/21/09 8:28 am - Germany
Contact Diana Cox from the DS board. She might be able to help you.
All the best!
Renfairewench
on 6/21/09 1:36 pm
Is your fecal incontinence due to loose stools? Have you had the sphinter muscle checked?

On occasion I have to RUN to the bathroom. When I have to go I generally don't really wait. I've never heard of a revision based on your issue, but I'm thinking that a revision to DS may not be your answer since loose stools are pretty prevelent with a DS, depending on where your common channel is reconnected.

How long have you been an RNY post op and were you proximally, medially or distally bypassed?

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/09 8:54 pm
This is not a consistency issue, but an urgency issue. Generally after eating or drinking.

But here's the rub.

I can certainly wait for a bit at home after eating or drinking. But that may not do it. When thi****s, I can go 4-5 times in an hour.

5 years post-op. Problems started maybe a year out.
Renfairewench
on 6/21/09 11:05 pm
It's possible that you are suffering from an over abundance of bacteria in your intestinal tract or in the lower portion of the latent stomach which is causing the urgency issues plus the frequency issues. There are drugs that your doctor can give you to correct this issue. Have you spoken to your doctor about this?

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Lorie2
on 6/21/09 11:57 pm
I also have the same issue as you. I did get a revision. I wanted a ds but that didn't happen because of complications. scarr tissue etc... anyway I did get an extended rny. My common channel is the same lenght as a ds person. It is a 100cm. My surgery was in feb. I still have the bathroom issues. The doctor just put me on flagyl. That really didn't work very good for me. So today I call them back. I have explosive diareah. I know how you feel and am trying to find what to do. keep in touch and let me know how your doing,
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/09 3:07 am
Yea, I have seen the doc.

The problem seems to be purely mechanical...absence of pyloric valve and a case of extreme "dumping." 

I did not have any of these problems pre-surgery.
SheriAZ
on 6/24/09 11:05 am
I have the same problem and feel the same way. I have taken to sleeping on the coach with towels since I never know how things will be when I wake up in the morning. This "situation" happens while I sleep also. I am on that same prescription right now that another poster mentioned and it seems to be working. My Dr. told me that I am severely lactose intolerant and that is my main problem. I am to the point where I am reading everything. This may be the key. I have lived on cheese since surgery, I use whey protein, cottage cheese and greek yogart. So in addition to large amounts of Benefiber each day I am very careful to have NO DAIRY at all. This just started 2 days ago and already I feel better but time will tell. Something to think about.
SheriAZ
JRinAZ
on 6/25/09 6:31 am - Layton, UT
On June 24, 2009 at 6:05 PM Pacific Time, SheriAZ wrote:
I have the same problem and feel the same way. I have taken to sleeping on the coach with towels since I never know how things will be when I wake up in the morning. This "situation" happens while I sleep also. I am on that same prescription right now that another poster mentioned and it seems to be working. My Dr. told me that I am severely lactose intolerant and that is my main problem. I am to the point where I am reading everything. This may be the key. I have lived on cheese since surgery, I use whey protein, cottage cheese and greek yogart. So in addition to large amounts of Benefiber each day I am very careful to have NO DAIRY at all. This just started 2 days ago and already I feel better but time will tell. Something to think about.
SheriAZ
SheriAZ,
Consider ditching wheat products for a while.  Bulk up on all fibrous foods, i.e. spinach, steamed cabbage, flax seed muffins (email me if you'd like the recipe), low glycemic veggies (farmers markets have zuchinni and summer squash in abundance right now)....

Make your last food intake be before 7 p.m. and just sip a protein drink before going to bed to tide over your sugar level......That later your food intake, the more likely you'll have a "poopy" nights rest!

Hang in there!  It gets better and you'll soon find the foods that work best for your body!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/24/09 11:43 am
I'm sorry, this must be terrible for you. I think the pyloric valve being reintroduced will solve it, but did your doc check you for C-diff? As another has mentioned, it is common to get unbalanced in the bypassed intestines and a round of Flagyl is a quick cure if that is the case.

Probiotics on a regular basis are also helpful, especially after a round of Flagyl, to restore the balance of "good bugs". Your problem sounds severe, and the probiotics likely can't fix everything, but they can't hurt, and are likely to help.
Most Active