Swimming Ocean or Pool - Post Op

sarahjameve
on 6/21/09 11:31 am - Columbus, OH
Hello

For all those who had surgery do you remember how soon after surgery you were able to be in a pool and or ocean after surgery. I am thinking it was 4 weeks when i had it before but cant remember. I have the opportunity to go to Hawaii in September and trying to figure out how it wil work with a revision etc.

Sarah
Sarah Jam Eve RNY March 6th 2003 BOB September 14th 2009 

Renfairewench
on 6/21/09 1:30 pm

Not that I was even thinking of swimming after my RNY, but the doctor told me that if I wanted to go back to the pool I could do it one week after my staples were out. They came out around day 10 I think. He told me I could shower, but to keep my back to the water so that my incision didn't get soaked and that after showering I was to use peroxide and neosporin on my incision so that it didn't get infected.  Truly though, I couldn't even have considered swimming at 10 days though as I was having a hard time just moving at that point. You will want to check with your doctor, but really I would think that 4 weeks is probably about right. I'd just make sure that  your incision(s) is healed fully.  

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Lori G.
on 6/25/09 7:18 pm - CA
Aloha-
It will be longer if you have a drain in place, but....for routine surgery and uncomplicated healing...
2 weeks for a private pool, 3 weeks for a public pool. Ocean should be OK at 2 weeks as well.
XoLori

ginau
on 6/25/09 11:25 pm - mesa, AZ
Sarah

I was always told that untill it is healed and the scar falls off for the Swimming pool.   You can get it wet -  but not for a prolonged period. 

Scince I am having Hernia surgery on the 6th - I plan on 3 weeks and then using a  medical grade protective  covering if I do chance going in the pool while still scabbed.  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active