Revision Surgery- Have United Healthcare

daisymom
on 6/20/09 2:07 am - Belmont, NC
Hi everyone,
I am looking to have revision surgery. I had gastric bypass done in 2003, but I have gained back all the weight plus more. My consultation with the surgeon is in July. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has had revision surgery and had United Healthcare insurance. If so, what type of revision surgery did you have, and how long did it take for the insurance to approve it?
sarahjameve
on 6/20/09 5:22 am - Columbus, OH
My revision is being submitted to UHC this week for approval they told me allow up to 30 days but usually its 10-12 days
Sarah Jam Eve RNY March 6th 2003 BOB September 14th 2009 

daisymom
on 6/20/09 6:10 am - Belmont, NC
Sarah Jam Eve,
THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!!! I will cross my fingers it gets approved. Please let me know how it goes. Do you know what type of revision you'll be having?
Renfairewench
on 6/20/09 7:54 am
I don't have UHC, but I am scheduled to have an RNY to DS revision in August. My insurance information was sent to Aetna on Friday and on of the following week Tuesday I had an approval. So, it took a couple of days for me. 

Good luck to you! 

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

daisymom
on 6/20/09 11:50 am - Belmont, NC
That's encouraging Renfairewench! Thanks!
Lorie2
on 6/22/09 12:05 am
I had a revision done in feb of this year. I have united healthcare. I was going for a ds and had an extended rny instead. There were complicatiions. so I ended up with the bottom half of a ds. My common channel is the same as ds. 100cm.  I too had the rny in 2003 and gained wieght back. I called the insurance and asked them if they covered the code #43848? (code for ds) They said yes its  a covered benefit but everything has to be sent  in for evaluation. It took 2 to 3 weeks.  I hope this helps you.
Lori
Denise V.
on 6/22/09 4:00 am
Good Afternoon,

I just found out today that I was approved for a revision back on 6/10, the SAME day it was submitted to UHC... I am not sure how or why it was approved so fast, but I am defiantly a very happy camper!

Good luck!
~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
daisymom
on 6/22/09 10:44 am - Belmont, NC
Thank you all for replying. I was able to have my consultation today (scheduled at the last minute) instead of having to wait until next month. I was told United Healthcare didn't cover the sleeve or DS as they are "experimental". They use the same code for both. It really got me depressed as I was wanting the DS. Basically, my options are having the gastric bypass revised (whatever that means) or putting a band over it. Plus, I have to do a 3 month "Lifestyle Management" course consisting of monthly appointments with the nutritionist, exercise person, and psychologist. I knew I would have to see all of these people at least once before surgery, but for 3 months!!! Then, I still have to wait for insurance to approve it. So frustrating. I feel like boo hooing my eyes out. I'll be lucky if my surgery is before the year ends!

Lorie2
on 6/22/09 12:19 pm
If I were you, I would call and talk to your insurance. My insurance is United Health and they covered the revision from rny to a ds. I had surgery in Feb of this year.  Sad to say I only got the bottom half of the ds due to complications and scarr tissue once I was in surgery. My common channel is just like the ds. 100cm. My insurance covered all of it or their share of it I should say.
smileyjamie72
on 6/24/09 4:50 am - Palmer, AK
On June 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM Pacific Time, daisymom wrote:
Thank you all for replying. I was able to have my consultation today (scheduled at the last minute) instead of having to wait until next month. I was told United Healthcare didn't cover the sleeve or DS as they are "experimental". They use the same code for both. It really got me depressed as I was wanting the DS. Basically, my options are having the gastric bypass revised (whatever that means) or putting a band over it. Plus, I have to do a 3 month "Lifestyle Management" course consisting of monthly appointments with the nutritionist, exercise person, and psychologist. I knew I would have to see all of these people at least once before surgery, but for 3 months!!! Then, I still have to wait for insurance to approve it. So frustrating. I feel like boo hooing my eyes out. I'll be lucky if my surgery is before the year ends!

You should post this over on the DS messageboard. 

Do a "shout out" post  to:
Diana Cox is an AWSOME lady, along with 2 or 3 others, and they will help you out and you will have a very strong chance to WIN getting your DS.

Do NOT get discouraged!!!!!!  Go over to the DS board!!!!!!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/

Keep FIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**