RNY to DS revision question

Renfairewench
on 6/20/09 7:40 am
(X posted)

I'm curious.

I have had my RNY for almost 11 years. It took me a bit of time to relearn how to eat and all that comes along with a new anatomical configuration. Truthfully, I don't remember what it was like before except that I could eat so much more than I can now.

If you had an RNY to DS revision, what did you find that you had to adjust too and which adjustment(s) were the toughest and easiest? My girlfriend Aryiana said that she is trying to get used to the midline gurgling rather than the upper stomach gurgling that she had prior to her RNY takedown.

I am scheduled for an RNY to DS revision in August.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/09 8:07 pm
I had more restriction with my DS revision. And more hunger too. But it freed up my eating choices, so I could eat more meals, although smaller ones. You have to eat with the DS, you can't go hours without food. I guess because of the malabsorption. But you're not shoveling food constantly and not large quantities, although it may feel like it sometimes.

The hardest adjustment has been VITAMINS. It's a major part of the whole DS thing. You HAVE to take them, there's just no getting around it. If you don't keep your levels up, you're headed for BIG trouble.

I'm still struggeling with my calcium intake. The pills are just so big and before surgery I could gulp down pills without a problem. Now.. Ugh.

The easiest adjustment??? I couldn't say.

My RNY allowed me to eat pasta, I can't do that now. No biggie. although I do miss spaghetti. my stomach just gets full too fast on just a few strands.

One thing I can say, I eat healthier now than I did with the RNY. I've learned to watch my food intake and what I eat with an eagle eye. I don't shovel food in, I can't binge and emotional eating is waaaay down.

The gurgling is early on. I don't have that problem anymore. My bowels is fine. I don't poop all day either. And gas is not an issue as long as I watch my carbs. For me, lots of carbs make lots of gas and frequent trips to the bathroom.

These are the biggest changes I can think of right now.

Dana

Renfairewench
on 6/29/09 11:56 pm
Thanks Dana!  Do you know how big Dr. G made your stomach and how long or short your common channel is?

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active