Update on Surgeon appt for revision of enlarged pouch and stoma

marcia7749
on 6/18/09 5:23 am
Hello Everyone,

Thank you to so many *****sponded to my post for help in pursuing a laparascopic procedure to revise an enlarged pouch and stoma.
  I met with Dr Ikramuddin (bariatric surgeon) this morning to discuss my Upper Endoscopy and my revision options.   He said that my pouch is quite large as is my stoma.  He feels that there is no really good way of reducing either of them that has any great success right now.  So he wouldn't recommend trying to do that.   Also, he would not recommend a more malabsorbing procedure for me.    He feels that my RNY surgery 25 yrs ago was a great success....because I got to goal, kept it off for so many years, and that I am NOT now way up in the 300's.....He sees so many people with surgeries as old as mine....gaining to 100 lbs more than they were to begin with.   So, he will consider a revision....and taking into consideration  my size, my health, and everything he knows about me....he would recommend putting a Band around my pouch laparoscopically. 

He said that because  I do have the discipline to lose weight if I want to.....the Band should help me get to where I want to be ....and it will help me to stay there.   He said to continue on the diet he gave me.....high protein, low carb.....and see him again in 4 months.   I am to come in and weigh 1X per month because of insurance.....my insurance may require me to do this 3-6 months.....we are not sure.   I also asked him to look at my RNY surgery notes and tell me how much I was bypassed.....he said 50 cm....so my pouch started out 3 X what they do today, and my bypass is 3X less than they do today....   He said he thinks it is amazing that I lost as well as I did, and that I still have the ability to lose.....most people with my surgery can't lose at all.   He feels that I malabsorb very little fat at this time.....but I do malabsorb iron, protein, and vitamins.....lol   So, then I told him what my Ferritin was.....he said...."Well you need an infusion.....are you taking iron? I told him I just started back on the iron...he said to have my labs run in 6 weeks...if not up.....he would order infusions.....my Ferritin is way to low. He said he would dictate a letter to my PCP.   FINALLY...someone agrees with all of us about FERRITIN......HURRAY !!!   SO.....think I will get back to Sparkpeople and plan my meals.....and pray that I can stick to this darn diet he gave me 2 weeks ago.   Thanks for listening!!!

Marcia

P.S.  I weighed today, lost 15 lbs in 14 days on his diet..!!  Stuck in a chair due to health right now and taking pain meds that make you gain weight.....go figure...!!!!

I could be out jogging and at the gym daily and not lose this much.!!!
asumamma1
on 6/19/09 3:03 am - NC
Marcia, sounds like your appointment went very well!  The band over the pouch really does help and I'm glad he can do it lap.  Take care and keep us posted!
happy girl
on 6/20/09 9:02 am, edited 6/20/09 9:04 am
good for you, isn't having a plan half the battle.  I would check with him how many bands over bypass he has done and ask him about the success rate, I am not sure what research has been done for band over bypass, but it sounds like a really educated approach for your specific situation.

I don't believe there are too many Dr's doing band over bypass (in the twin cities), so I am interested to see how things work out for you. I seriously considered it but went for a true distal (100 cm Common channel)

good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Matata 2
on 6/23/09 6:43 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi Marcia,

I had Dr. Howard Lederer at HCMC do my Band over Bypass (BOB) in October 2007. I was having all kinds of digestive issues from a stretched out pouch and stoma (RNY 9/2004). I had gained about 35 pounds over the previous year.

Since getting BOB, my digestive problems are corrected and I've lost the 30 lbs. plus another 20 lbs. The weight comes off MUCH slower now but it does come off. I never had foamies, or sliming following RNY, but definitely do now if I eat the wrong type of foods or eat too quickly. BOB keeps me honest! Good luck as you continue your journey!
Cheryl
Matata 2  Pre-op 320/Current 152/Goal 132  
marcia7749
on 6/24/09 5:41 am
Matata,

Thank you so much for the information.

And, congratulations for the terrific weight loss.

I am so unsure as to what to do.  The surgeon wants me to diet 4 months first.....well, i  can lose weight...that isn't the problem....it is keeping it off....

So, I am plugging along with the diet he gave me and undecided what to do......

He said that the band would help me stay at my goal weight.....??

THanks,

Marcia
Most Active